Is the .17WSM dead?

I agree on it not being one of Savages better works. I won one in a raffle and had it for a while. It was the light barrel version. Loved the cartridge but not the rifle. Pretty cheesy made. Kind of like some of the Savages of yesteryear. And it didn't shoot that well. Was always throwing fliers. Was always hoping some other company would come out with a rifle chambered in it. Or Savage would build a better one.
I have one of the first light barreled ones as well. It required some work to get it to shoot well. My two heavy barreled savages shoot extremely well after pillar and bedding.

There are several manufactures of quality 17 WSM rifles and only one manufacture of ammo. The issue I see is there is an ample supply of $1.00/round ammo and a shortage of $0.40/round ammo !!! Come on Winchester support your developed round!!!!!!!!!!!
Winchester and Federal produce ammo in 17 WSM.
Let me see what it's worth and maybe we can do a deal
Sounds good

I have one of the first light barreled ones as well. It required some work to get it to shoot well. My two heavy barreled savages shoot extremely well after pillar and bedding.
Love to hear what you did and what the results were on the light barreled model. Have one too and looking for ways to eek out any more improvement.

Winchester and Federal produce ammo in 17 WSM.

Sounds good
Sorry, Winchester makes it all, regardless of the name on the box. ATK (Federal ) used to supply components to Winchester, not anymore though. The parent case of the 17 WSM is 27 caliber hiltie used in powder-actuated nailers. The construction industry turned out to be a better market for ATK than Winchester. This is the main reason for shortages of primed casings.

tHE 17 wsm AMMO generally gets sucked up quickly. Midway you can put your name the list. They'll let you know by email. Be quick, or it's gone. I pick up a case here awhile back.
I had the problem in getting F210 Match from Midway, because it was gone. At least they only allowed one brick per sale. I finally got a brick, and they got me.o_O

I've wondered the same thing. As much as I love my HMR, I'd really like to step up to a WSM but with the unavailabiity of ammo and the B Mag being the only choice- thanks but no.

Has anyone made a decent WSM?
I'd be ok keeping an ear to the dirt to find a decent used one, but don't recall any other choices?
CZ 457 WMR VARMINT,

I definitely wouldn't call the WSM dead as it has a pretty solid following. I really enjoy my 17HMR but windy days leave me wanting something with a bit more punch. As a TC Encore owner, I may end up getting a 17 Hornet barrel as a short/medium range varmint round. The WSM just never appealed to me due to cost of ammo and limited rifle selection. Being able to reload the 17 Hornet is a big plus when rimfire ammo gets scarce. I see 17 WSM on Ammoseek right now for $1-$1.40 per round while 17 Hornet centerfire ammo is generally under $1 per round and yields reloadable brass which you can use to make high quality reloads for around $0.30 per round. The WSM certainly packs a punch in a convenient package, but the tradeoff is higher ammo costs.

I snagged one of the ruger 77/17 wsm's when they first came out.....now they tend to be pretty expensive since ruger stopped making them. I really like mine. I did shim the bolt and tweaked the trigger to make it even better. What you can't take from the round is the fact that you have a rimfire doing 3000 fps......about what my handloads in my 7mm rem mag hit with 160 gr accubonds......pretty impressive when you think about it! I got rid of my 17 hmr........no need for it when you have a wsm.....the thing is on a string out to 200 yards, which is where it shines....not so much when you get past that........I bought a case of ammo when I got it, but I do see it for sale on line.....price doesn't bother me.....
Cost of groceries right now bother me more........

I think the .22 Mag will give 17 HMR a run for the money. I have both and shoot P Dogs out to 250 yards

While I'd tend to agree, 17 wsm is still the topic of the thread.

For clarification

17 wsm, 22 wmr, 17hmr, 17 hm2, 22lr.

Attachments

• 20220221_120124.jpg
    20220221_120124.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 20