Is the 7mm RUM dead?

Calvin45

Exactly what the title says. With the 28 Nosler, 7mm stw, 7mm weatherby and various Sherman cartridges all coming soooooo close to what the RUM can do, and with notably better barrel life…is the 7 RUM dead? Anyone here shooting one AND planning to stay with that cartridge in the future? Anyone got one that noticeably outperforms the .28 Nosler and 7mm stw?

And furthermore can you even buy a factory rifle, any factory rifle, new in this caliber? Not a custom thing, just a "walk into a gun store, walk out with a new 7 RUM"?

I had only seen Remington offering them new and well that's done. I bought a used 7 rum from Scheels couple years ago for $500. I installed a Wyatt box, Timney trigger, Holland brake, and put it in a stockys long range stock. Bullets out of neck to touch lands so much free bore. I seat the bullet base to shoulder they have a mile of jump but one ragged hole at 100 yards. My 162 eldms are just over 3400 fps. My CA ELR 28 with 162 eldx most accurate at 3100 but will push them faster. The CA is gonna need a barrel soon i was thinking 8 twist 300 Rum but maybe it needs to stay a 7?

I'll admit, I couldn't handle it in a factory R700 pencil barrel 7RUM. I actually started with a 300RUM, then dropped to a 7RUM, then dropped to 300WM, finally settled into a 7RM and have been really happy with that for 5 years killing everything Idaho has to offer.

I Love the ballistics of the 7RUM but I'm unwilling to hunt with a brake and I'm unwilling to carry a heavy rifle that would absorb the recoil

To the best of my knowledge Remington is only chambering the 300 RUM currently.

The SAUMS kind of are putting the RUMs out of the picture IMO. You don't need absolute max speed if you can increase consistency because optics have gotten so much better in the last 20 years. I'd do a 6.5 or 7 SAUM before a 7 RUM, and the 300 RUM is hanging on because it'll push the 245 Bergers from a magnum bolt face, not a .585" LM bolt face. I don't think they'll ever go away because "no replacement for displacement" will always have a place, but even then the 300 Norma and derivatives are making in-roads there.

The RUMs are like the 1988 fuel injected 460. It was the last big hurrah for the huge case/deep bullet generation before the short case/ long bullet phase started.

Exactly what the title says. With the 28 Nosler, 7mm stw, 7mm weatherby and various Sherman cartridges all coming soooooo close to what the RUM can do, and with notably better barrel life…is the 7 RUM dead? Anyone here shooting one AND planning to stay with that cartridge in the future? Anyone got one that noticeably outperforms the .28 Nosler and 7mm stw?
Heck you could ask the same question about the 7stw and the 7 wby!

And furthermore can you even buy a factory rifle, any factory rifle, new in this caliber? Not a custom thing, just a "walk into a gun store, walk out with a new 7 RUM"?
If you really have your heart set on one it seems that Cooper chamber several varieties of their M52 in 7 Rum. Not exactly a "walk into a gun store" option but pretty close.

I'm hopeful that the 6.8 Western is a nudge towards high-BC bullet options for 6.8mm/.277. A 6.8 RUM would be interesting to me, and I'm not sure Berger is really at the extreme limit with the 170gn EOL.

All the old stuff is becoming new again. I'd put $5 on the inevitable 7 Creedmoor being a 7-08 AI and maybe even a 25 Creedmoor that's equivalent to a 257 Bob AI with the shoulder pushed back a bit. If only PO could have seen his 40* shoulder be the hottest thing since sliced bread.

The 7RUM was too much of a good thing when Rem introduced it at the time. The 7STW was the overbore 7mm king at the time and worked just fine.

My biggest issue with the 7RUM BDL stainless I had was, it was violent to shoot, in any position! Way more than the 7STW. This was before I began using & putting brakes on rifles.

Sold that rifle, but I still have dies and cases, if I was to ever do another one, but that's likely, because I love the 28Nosler, it has way more going for it and standard rifle, also, if you put it a your previous7STW rifle, that has a a lengthened magnum receiver, there is zero issue running 195EOL Berger's out long.

I do miss the 7STW, but not the belt.