Is the .17WSM dead?

Calvin45

Hey all, just curious…is Winchester's 17 WSM rimfire cartridge gone or going the way of the dodo? I haven't seen ammo for it ANYWHERE for a long time now. My local gun store is sitting on a bunch of savage B mags they can't convince anyone to buy because there's no ammo to feed the dang things (also they suck in my opinion, that rear locking action, the weird ergonomics, just all in all not savages best work and some of their worst).

I notice no one else is really SERIOUS about offering rifles, especially entry level affordable every-man rifles, in that chambering. And it's been years now. Is that telling us something?

Winchester released a rifle at shot, ammo is limited quantities and only once a year it seems. Hard telling on dead, 338 win mag is the most popular moderate cartridge in the USA and its been functionally absent for 3 years. Probably less of that in circulation than 17 wsm but very few asking about its demise.

Hard to buy much of anything niche these days...

I've wondered the same thing. As much as I love my HMR, I'd really like to step up to a WSM but with the unavailabiity of ammo and the B Mag being the only choice- thanks but no.

Has anyone made a decent WSM?
I'd be ok keeping an ear to the dirt to find a decent used one, but don't recall any other choices?
Savage also has the delayed blowback A17wsm. They have both a semi auto 17hmr and wsm now.

Hey all, just curious…is Winchester's 17 WSM rimfire cartridge gone or going the way of the dodo? I haven't seen ammo for it ANYWHERE for a long time now. My local gun store is sitting on a bunch of savage B mags they can't convince anyone to buy because there's no ammo to feed the dang things (also they suck in my opinion, that rear locking action, the weird ergonomics, just all in all not savages best work and some of their worst).

I notice no one else is really SERIOUS about offering rifles, especially entry level affordable every-man rifles, in that chambering. And it's been years now. Is that telling us something?
Ammo is slowly becoming more available, Winchester just released their own 17 WSM at shot show, should be affordable. As far as the B mag goes, it does have a few things against it, but they just shoot good! IMO good bang for the buck. Other makers of 17 WSM out there also. I have several and they all shoot!!! IMO it is not dead! Maybe just took a back seat during the pandemic?

Franklin Armory makes the F17 line of complete rifles and uppers. Not really in the same vein at the Savage but pretty cool on its own. Some interesting varminting and hog hunting videos of them on youtube. I have always wanted one but never have I seen ammo in reasonable amounts and reasonable prices to feed/justify it.

https://franklinarmory.com/firearms/complete-firearms/f17-series/

I really like the little round. I just put another scope on my Bmag, and I agree it is not much, but mine shoots great, and on the little farm I live on it's always with me in the truck. Varmints certainly don't like it; they probably wish it would go away lol. I do hope to buy a nice rifle in this cartridge someday. I'd take a nice 17 Hornet if someone made one left-handed, but if I'm shooting a right-handed rifle, it will be the rimfire. Can't logically explain that, but I'm left-handed, so that should be enough lol.

I just bought 500 rds off of SGAmmo. And bought another 200 at LGS.

I've wondered the same thing. As much as I love my HMR, I'd really like to step up to a WSM but with the unavailabiity of ammo and the B Mag being the only choice- thanks but no.

I'd be ok keeping an ear to the dirt to find a decent used one, but don't recall any other choices?
Primal Rights made one. The RimX

I have one in a Ruger 77. Bought it 2020. Shim the bolt and a little trigger work and it's a good shooter. I bought 2 cases of ammo when I got the rifle. Haven't seen much ammo around the last couple of years though.

I have one in a Ruger 77. Bought it 2020. Shim the bolt and a little trigger work and it's a good shooter. I bought 2 cases of ammo when I got the rifle. Haven't seen much ammo around the last couple of years though.
I never knew Ruger made one!
Thank you, I will keep an eye out for one.

I bought a couple cases within the last six months but can't remember where I found them. They can be found; a man just has to keep looking. I just bought 1000 Federal 215M primers, first I've found in three years, crazy days.