Is the .17WSM dead?

Sams response about acquiring more 17 WSM,
No way to say, the supply is super limited on that caliber.
They were still instock when you posted it. I have a few cases yet so I didn't buy anymore, hopefully we dont have to wait 3 years again for the next round to be made.

It's like most anything else nowadays, just keep looking and looking, and eventually you'll find some. I've bought around 1500 rounds over the last year by just picking them up when I see them. I actually bought 500 on GB for $200 on a penny start auction a while back. I also just bought 1000 Federal 215M primers which I have been looking for, for three years from Midway. I mainly shoot my 22lr, my CM, and my 22-250 because I have plenty of components for them, and I use the rare ones sparingly. A man has to do what a man has to do nowadays.

Ruger has put production on hold, so currently their resale value is through the roof. If you see one at a decent price, don't hesitate to buy it.

I've got a WSM and Hornet on backorder but unsure if/when they'll make them again.

View attachment 539673
I have had both of those 77/17 on order for over 3 years now and reached out to ruger multiple times for production dates. I got tired of waiting and I'm building a rim x. When you looked the prices on gunbroker for a 77/17, a rim x was right around the same.

I've wondered the same thing. As much as I love my HMR, I'd really like to step up to a WSM but with the unavailabiity of ammo and the B Mag being the only choice- thanks but no.

Has anyone made a decent WSM?
I'd be ok keeping an ear to the dirt to find a decent used one, but don't recall any other choices?
I finally broke down and bought a Savage B Mag thumbhole stock SS, because I found the WSM an interesting cartridge. I bought the ammo before I had the rifle. If I like the cartridge I may have a custom rifle made, we shall see. Tried to find a Ruger, but those seem to be unobtanium, just like their No. 1 in 257 Weatherby. Oh well.

I have three. We shoot prarie dogs out 250 yards.
That's about what I figured for yardage for the 17SWM.
They were still instock when you posted it. I have a few cases yet so I didn't buy anymore, hopefully we dont have to wait 3 years again for the next round to be made.
Looks like I should have purchased more at that time. O'well. Like everything else, Hurry up and waite.

I've got a few cases in stash. This thread has got me to thinking about getting a reamer and maybe cutting a barrel for my RimX and order a bolt head for it.
Don't bother getting a bolt head, just buy another action, lol. I had the same plan even though i knew better. Now i have 2 rim x guns, 22lr and 17wsm and a spare 22lr bolt head and barrel laying here.

Don't bother getting a bolt head, just buy another action, lol. I had the same plan even though i knew better. Now i have 2 rim x guns, 22lr and 17wsm and a spare 22lr bolt head and barrel laying here.
Can you tell me which barrel options you chose & how well does it perform ? Or do you think you should have chosen a different style barrels for your RimX ? I have been looking at Bison Tactical.

I have 2 proof 22lr barrels, one 20 inch carbon that came on the gun and a spare steel. Carbon barrel shoots good enough that i never installed the steel barrel to test it. The 17wsm is a 20 inch preferred barrel, still haven't shot it yet. I can hopefully get you a report this week. The rim x action is awesome setup, a little heavy but well built. I actually have another 17wsm barrel on order from preferred to try and reduce the weight some to make it a hunting gun, hoping it will be here soon.

Attachments

• 20240205_190335.jpg
    20240205_190335.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 40
I have 2 proof 22lr barrels, one 20 inch carbon that came on the gun and a spare steel. Carbon barrel shoots good enough that i never installed the steel barrel to test it. The 17wsm is a 20 inch preferred barrel, still haven't shot it yet. I can hopefully get you a report this week. The rim x action is awesome setup, a little heavy but well built. I actually have another 17wsm barrel on order from preferred to try and reduce the weight some to make it a hunting gun, hoping it will be here soon.
I wish I had been smart enough to have gone with the RimX as to buying at least a dozen of other manufacturers over the years. I never heard of RimX till I got on this forum