Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

I will say, as this conversation just keeps going haha, the 243 and other 6mms sure do have an interesting variety of projectiles to choose from, probably more legit big game options than 22 and definitely more options to pick from for varminting and predator hunting than anything .25 and up. A sweet spot in that regard for sure.

I remember with my .243, an old savage 99, I did a test one day with bullets on complete opposite ends of the toughness spectrum. A 58 grain vmax at 3880 fps I think and a 90 grain Sierra full metal jacket at 3150 or so. The test was shooting rows of small-ish pumpkins lined up (very scientific).

That mean little vmax is the most violent bullet I've tried, not so accurate in that rifle but at 30 paces or so it created a 5 inch gaping ENTRANCE wound and NO EXIT. On a small pumpkin! I couldn't believe it.

The fmj predictably poked small holes through 6 or 7 consecutive pumpkins before veering off course and leaving the pumpkin chain haha.

>243 has been around since the 50's and still going strong. One person even won a 1000 yard benchrest competition with a .243. Dad gave me a SAKO Forester .243 when I got my Eagle Scout badge in 1965. So three years ago I listened to the hype about how great the 6.5 Creedmore was and got one. Now the real problem is just try finding any Berger 140 gn bullets to load for the rifle. Frustrating. So I am happy tp continue shooting my .243 and can easily get 95 grain Bergers. The 6.5 sits in the gun safe.
I'm having trouble finding 6mm bullets. The Hornady 147gr aren't as consistent as Sierra's and Bergers in 6.5 but I can find them pretty regularly.

If you made the same shot with the 30-06 the deer would be drt. In 55 years of hunting deer and moose with .308 caliber I have never had either on go more than 50 yards after impact with most falling drt.
I beg to differ with ya on this lol, if you go to that other thread I had about this exact topic I mention in my post you will find a lot of argument about it. Kinetic energy plays a large part in drt and a 243 transfers almost all if not all its energy most the time. 30-06 punches through therefor loses a lot of energy transfer, still has the shock sure but drt effect has been much less common in my experience compared to the 6mm. In fact if I hit boiler room with a 30-06 I'd almost guarantee that deer runs, not the same with a 243. Shoulder shot…. 30-06 would win every time I bet but that ruins a ton of meat. If I remember right I believe a lot of comments pertained to bullet selection as well. Obviously an fmj is not considered a hunting round for good reason, will it kill sure but with the authority it could no. So if your using a cartridge designed for much bigger game and that projectile is designed that way as well by design this also helps the argument as to why the drt effect is less in that scenario. To each their own but that has been my experience

Last edited:
I've done a lot of wildcatting with the .243 case, reducing the capacity so the best 243 load fills to the bottom of the neck and extending the length of the neck. Selecting correct barrel twist based on preferred projectile, diameter, length and velocity. The 6.5 Creed looks like it has it all including choice of large or small primer. I would favor the small primer but group size would determine what to use. I want one shot humane kills with the least amount of spoiled meat and if that's not possible then leave the shot for another day.
If you can't get good results with this cartridge then look in the mirror to see the problem

I beg to differ with ya on this lol, if you go to that other thread I had about this exact topic I mention in my post you will find a lot of argument about it. Kinetic energy plays a large part in drt and a 243 transfers almost all if not all its energy most the time. 30-06 punches through therefor loses a lot of energy transfer, still has the shock sure but drt effect has been much less common in my experience compared to the 6mm. In fact if I hit boiler room with a 30-06 I'd almost guarantee that deer runs, not the same with a 243. Shoulder shot…. 30-06 would win every time I bet but that ruins a ton of meat…. To each their own but that has been my experience
Any bonded bullet out of a 30-06 would punch through and dump less of it's original kinetic energy, sure.

A 150 grain SST out of a 30-06 hitting a deer at around 2800 fps in the boiler room is a bang flop.

Even if portions of the fragmented bullet and jacket pass through completely, the 30-06 would transfer more energy than the .243 because it starts with a lot more energy.

In no situation does a 243 kill something deader than a 30-06, shooting the same type of bullet.

Talk to old timers about deer and the .257 Roberts, let alone .257 Bob Ackley Improved- They often have similar feelings and used these several decades longer...

I can't complain about my experiences with a .25-06 firing around 100gr. SP projectiles either, but more powder, noise & recoil.

High velocity quarter bores are certainly in "the sweet spot" for whitetails. I happen to like 6.5-284 NORMA myself, but I've got a bean field to shoot over and the recoil doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble finding 6mm bullets. The Hornady 147gr aren't as consistent as Sierra's and Bergers in 6.5 but I can find them pretty regularly.
For some reason, probably luck, I have been able to locate 6mm's. In the 6.5 I have tried Hornady in 140 eldm, 143 eldx and 147 eldm but my rifle just doesn't like them as much as Bergers. I have to seat the Hornady's deep to clear the magazine but Hornadys seem to like being close to the lands so that doesn't work in my Kimber. The Bergers tolerate more jump so work the best in my rifle.

Any bonded bullet out of a 30-06 would punch through and dump less of it's original kinetic energy, sure.

A 150 grain SST out of a 30-06 hitting a deer at around 2800 fps in the boiler room is a bang flop.

Even if portions of the fragmented bullet and jacket pass through completely, the 30-06 would transfer more energy than the .243 because it starts with a lot more energy.

In no situation does a 243 kill something deader than a 30-06, shooting the same type of bullet.
Just stating my own experiences is all, kind of impossible to tell anyone how much kinetic energy is being transferred if the projectile passes through isn't it? Over penetration is an actual issue for the measurement of energy. If the projectile doesn't pass through all of the energy is 100 percent being used…. Again though choice of projectile is everything. Ever see the video of Kasandra bull elk on you tube? Think it was a 688 yard shot on a trophy elk and it dropped with a 243. Ive also seen elk at that distance get hit with a 300 wsm that run off. Guess every situation is different but I've never had a deer not be a drt with a 6mm. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself lol!!

Last edited:
Great thread. Lots of good expierence to read.

I used the 87 vmax in a 243 for about 15 deer, with shots out to 350 yards. None went more than a few feet except one.. the vmax usually didn't exit and I had no blood trail. I recovered the deer about 60 yards from where I shot it, but would have appreciated an exit would for a blood trail.

I have since switched to the 105 amax, hoping the extra mass will help. Only killed one so far, results were good with the desired exit wound.

My sister shoots 100 gr factory core-lokt in her Model Seven, and has had great performance on shots out to 200 yards.

I think anything with 308 or Creedmoor case capacity loaded with a good bullet is great deer medicine. I'm interested to see if the 25 Creed catches on, might be the sweet spot.

A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
The best deer cartridge is what ever the hell you shoot well...

The 243 is all that's needed for whitetail. I agree the low recoil is very pleasant. I've killed many with Winchester supreme 95 Ballistic tips. The damage inside is massive. The last 2 deer I killed was with a 300saum and a 300 win mag. The 243 will kill them just as dead. I got a 6mm Remington few years ago and it's becoming my favorite all around but I would never hesitate to take the 243.