Interarms rebarrel

Sherman Shorts are non belted and based off the 7mm SAUM, which uses the same bolt face as the 7RM.
I'd definitely check the 7SS out if I were the OP. The 300SS is no slouch either.

Why run a short action cartridge in a long action?

Wanting to run "heavy for cartridge" bullets, it wouldn't be out of line.
Tikka uses the same action length for all their chamberings.
Only changing the bolt stop.
The 7WSM would be an excellent choice as well.

So who's barrel & what twist would y'all recommend. Krieger has a 28" 5r for the 280/284.

So who's barrel & what twist would y'all recommend. Krieger has a 28" 5r for the 280/284.

Any of the brand names will be fine...even some of the cheaper ones like Wilson and X-Caliber are pretty darn good for the price.

Check out Ragged Hole Barrels.

I have an Xcaliber barrel in 9 twist for my 7-08 A.I. and love it. I do wish it had a faster twist though, for the heavier pills. Xcaliber will chamber for you as well.
Bartlein has a list of stocking dealers and it's the fastest way to get on of there barrels.
McGowen barrels have good reviews too.
I would do an 8 twist, regardless of what cartridge. What cartridge are you thinking of

have same action. can't run longer then 3.5 length and that's with modifying the action thus weaking it. id go 300wm but if you want to stay with a 7mm stick with 7mmmag or 7-300win. as far as barrel brux, kreiger ,bartlien, or rock creek. with a 1-8 twist.

have same action. can't run longer then 3.5 length and that's with modifying the action thus weaking it. id go 300wm but if you want to stay with a 7mm stick with 7mmmag or 7-300win. as far as barrel brux, kreiger ,bartlien, or rock creek. with a 1-8 twist.
I've looked @ Brux & Krieger a good bit but hadn't really looked for a 8 twist. Does the lower the number of twist stabilize the heavier bullets or do I have it backwards? For a light weight hunter what contour? I need a barrel, a good trigger & maybe a decent stock. Still have the nice Woodstock but hate mess it up. When you add that stuff up I would be as well off to buy the new Remington 700 awr with the 5r barrel that's on sale right now. I bought the glass for which ever set up today.

I've looked @ Brux & Krieger a good bit but hadn't really looked for a 8 twist. Does the lower the number of twist stabilize the heavier bullets or do I have it backwards? For a light weight hunter what contour? I need a barrel, a good trigger & maybe a decent stock. Still have the nice Woodstock but hate mess it up. When you add that stuff up I would be as well off to buy the new Remington 700 awr with the 5r barrel that's on sale right now. I bought the glass for which ever set up today.

Yes, you got it right, i.e. 1:8" is faster than 1:9" and would stabilize the heavier/longer bullets better as recommended by most manufacturer.

Lilja barrel is another option for your consideration. For what it is worth, a friend purchased the same rifle (not on sale) you are referring to for last season's hunt and have not done any handload (seasoned reloader) better than 1.5" at 100 yards. He's got over 100 rounds through it does far but still trying to make it work for him. He's a die hard Remington man so I figure he'll keep it for the action if he can't get it to work.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:
When you add that stuff up I would be as well off to buy the new Remington 700 awr with the 5r barrel that's on sale right now. I bought the glass for which ever set up today.

Did you budget a trigger into that setup? Or the possibility that you get a dud barrel on the new one? It's not guaranteed you'll get a good shooter with just about any factory rifle. Putting one of the barrels that you've looked at on your old rifle helps your chances considerably and lets you pick the twist.

When you add that stuff up I would be as well off to buy the new Remington 700 awr with the 5r barrel that's on sale right now.

First and foremost, there is never a good comparison between a factory, off the shelf rifle and a decent semi-custom or custom rifle. But if dollars are a concern then the factory rifle might be a good fit for the time being. Otherwise, skip the factory offering and get on with building the rifle you want with the best components you can buy. And by the way, if you can't develop a load better than 1.5" in 100 rounds tear it apart or sell it and get something better to replace it.

I have whitworth interarms 7mm that I want to rebarrell. I killed my first deer with but it's shot out. I'm leaning towards a 7 STW 26". I don't know who's good & who's not. Prefer stainless, fluted & a brake. Will be a hunting rifle so nothing heavy. Not sure what twist is best but I'm wanting to shoot 175-180s for sure.

The Interarms Whitworth rifles or actions are a fine example of the revision of the original Mauser M98 model and design. There is nothing wrong with re-barreling this action. Choosing the 7mm STW will require that the action and the all of the components of the bottom metal get modified for this longer cartridge. Most folks don't follow this but when longer, bigger actions weren't a mainstay in the American firearms industry, we modified everything to accommodate long or bigger diameter cartridges on Mauser actions. It can be done but there will be an expense to doing every modification and not every gunsmith is qualified to accomplish your needs.

In my opinion, you can have what you want by using a different cartridge which will fit the action you have without those modifications. The 7mm Rem. Mag. is a perfect example. If you want something slightly different but in the same time frame as your original rifle you can get the 7x61 Super S&H. This cartridge pre-dated the 7mm Rem. Mag. which then knocked it out of the market. Brass is available from Huntington's. The 7mm Blaser if another fine cartridge, although the Rem Mag. will be the fastest and easiest to get finished.

Enjoy the process!