Interarms rebarrel

also look at benchmark barrels. A good gunsmith can make your stock trigger quite shootable.

In this day and age, trying to get a 2-stage Mauser trigger tuned is more expensive than buying a decent Timney trigger and dropping it in. Plus you'll be getting a single stage, adjustable trigger which most folks prefer.

For where I live the 1-9 will barely work up to 180s.

I just ran my numbers through the Berger Stability calculator and my number come up with the ideal solution.

180 gr. Berger Hunter VLD at 2950 fps yields a 1.55 on their scale which just right.

I've been told that STW won't work without some work & weaking the action.

I straightened that out with the poster because it's wrong. But the time, effort and cost of the action modification verses using the SAAMI 7mm Rem Mag accomplishes very little in the long run.

A lot of those were WWII German 98's (7.92x57) that were rebarreled and sporterized.

In this situation the action is the modern Interarms Whitworth which is another of the FN style 'improved' M98 actions. But it can still be modified in a similar fashion to the military and commercial war time actions. But it's unnecessary as the results don't merit the conversion. For what the OP is asking, the 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent choice, although some of the wildcats tempt me, they might not appeal to other shooter/hunters.

You might be able to simply rechamber it or have it set back and rechambered in the original round.

The first posts in the thread set the pace for a barrel replacement. This style of barrel leaves very little for a proper set back in normal situations but here, the barrel needs to be replaced.

The Parker Hales were assembled in Great Britain and had very nice adjustable triggers which will work on many other Mauser styles. The older Interarms had military style triggers as far as I recall.

In this day and age, trying to get a 2-stage Mauser trigger tuned is more expensive than buying a decent Timney trigger and dropping it in. Plus you'll be getting a single stage, adjustable trigger which most folks prefer.

I just ran my numbers through the Berger Stability calculator and my number come up with the ideal solution.

180 gr. Berger Hunter VLD at 2950 fps yields a 1.55 on their scale which just right.

I ran my #s again today I'm @ 1.57 on the 180 VLD @ 2950 for a 1-9 & 1.99 for the same load in a 1-8.

I ran my #s again today I'm @ 1.57 on the 180 VLD @ 2950 for a 1-9 & 1.99 for the same load in a 1-8.

Remember that the 1.55 or 1.57 is completely stable so there is no need to exceed any of that value by using a faster twist rate. You cannot become MORE stable once you achieve stability.

Excellent! Congratulations.

Please remember to keep us apprised of your progress and any pictures will be appreciated.

Excellent! Congratulations.

Please remember to keep us apprised of your progress and any pictures will be appreciated.
I didn't get the fluted barrel I wanted though. It added 200 bucks to the barrel. For whatever reason the fluted version added 50 in taxes but non fluted wasn't taxed @ all. So $201 cheaper for non fluted. Fluted look good but not $201 good. LOL

The stock search will continue as McMillan said 6-8 months & closer to 8.

Though I'm not a fan of the B&C syn stock for the 98 Mauser, the new ones have a full length aluminum block bedding. Might be an option. I've read some are happy with Archangel stocks. Or get a cheap wooden stock to use until a McMillan gets delivered.

The stock search will continue as McMillan said 6-8 months & closer to 8.

Though I'm not a fan of the B&C syn stock for the 98 Mauser, the new ones have a full length aluminum block bedding.

Again, this will depend upon how much time you decide to wait to get what you want or get what will work. Immediacy will dictate getting a B&C stock, of course. I've used these on occasion with good results when I took the time to bed the action to the block. There are so many variations for the Mauser M98 style that the compromises need to be bedded to be sure the action is held in place stress-free.

Unfortunately, as the requests for synthetic Mauser stocks slow down, McMillan's runs of Mauser stocks will get less frequent. I suggest looking at the Classified sections of several forum websites to see if maybe one comes up for sale especially right now after the New Year. If you can't find what you want, get a B&C. Also take a look at Stocky's Stocks as they might have something you like. For wood laminates, look at Boyd's.