Rebarrel

Lymey

Thinking of rebarreling my 270wsm to 6.8 western because I can't find ammo anywhere but every lgs has 50-100 boxes of 6.8 western. Your thoughts?

I purchased a rebarreled 270 WSM from a member here w/ 8T and proper throating to run 140 VLDs to 170s. Light varmint and 26" threaded 5/8 x 24 but I reload. I say go for it since you shoot factory ammo but thread it. 300WSM is an option for you also. Not sure on ammo available but check it out. Get a decent contour for better grouping. I prefer 3B-26" or #4-24" in Bartlein and still a manageable weight to carry. They also get fluted. Square your receiver and bed your action while you're at it. Trigger, 2-3 lbs is nice and be sure to float your barrel. You should have a sub 1/2 MOA rifle if you find ammo that matches your harmonics or ad a tuner. Just me. More comments to come on these threads.
Rhett

Are you stuck on 277cal? Are you going to reload? The 270wsm will outrun the 6.8 western with identical bullets because it has more case capacity. The 6.8 western is a "creedmoorized" 270wsm. If you want to shoot just factory ammo then the 6.8 western is not a bad choice.....if you can find ammo AND a factory ammo load that your new barrel will like.

Rhett is right that a properly twisted and throated 270wsm will do everything a 6.8w will do and a little more.

No offense but unless your barrel is worn out your approach seems extreme. I just looked and here are a few places that have some 270 Win ammo:

No offense but unless your barrel is worn out your approach seems extreme. I just looked and here are a few places that have some 270 Win ammo:

…but 270win ammo will not work with his short action magnum action/bolt face. He has a WSM, so he needs something that will work with that sized case.

Geez I missed that little detail WSM not Win. Oops

OP is right it IS hard to find but there is some out there:

https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=winchester+270+wsm+ammo

Thats 270 win ammo he's looking for 270 wsm ammo

Everybody who's a factory ammo shooter better do one of 2 things either learn to reload or buy enough factory ammo to last the barrel.
O.P your problem right now proves my point, the last 2 years does too.
This is the 3rd time I've seen this with Primers this time the worst.
I remember buying 5,000 for $40/1000 and thought I was getting skinned (Obama years).

The 270wsm will outrun the 6.8 western with identical bullets because it has more case capacity.

You have to love the internet for all the information it can supply to us. The problem is learning how to use this information credibly.

Straight up case capacity the .270 WSM has approximately 1-1/2 grains more capacity which won't and doesn't amount to a hill of beans when loads are developed.

Select the heaviest and longest bullet loaded to magazine specs in both cases, the 6.8 Western actually has more capacity. When I tested these cases with the Berger 170 gr. Elite Hunter, same rifle configuration as possible, both performed within a few feet per second of each other. Now we wait for the reloaders who are driven to use the Long Action system claiming gains which still really don't exist.

In essence, both are equally good cartridges and will perform as expected when used in the field. The only drawback for some reloaders is the limitation of having only Winchester brand brass. The hope is that one of premium manufacturers will pick this case up since the dimensions will work closely with the WSM basic case. I've already necked the 6.8 Western case down to handle the 6.5mm bullets.

I have never been a .270 anything fan but I have been using both of the above cartridges in short and long barrels, with and without a suppressor and getting very usable results.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Thanks for the all of the info guys. I for got to put in the thread that the barrel on the rifle is a 1 in 9 twist. That would limit my loads to 150gr or less. I really like the 170gr bullets for their benefit for long distance hunting. I do reload, but I'm just a hunter. Any target shooting at really long distance for me would be just practice.

Thanks for the all of the info guys. I for got to put in the thread that the barrel on the rifle is a 1 in 9 twist. That would limit my loads to 150gr or less. I really like the 170gr bullets for their benefit for long distance hunting. I do reload, but I'm just a hunter. Any target shooting at really long distance for me would be just practice.
What makes you think your 1-9 won't shoot 170's?

A lot depends on speed and elevation. If you are shooting the 170gr at 2900fps at 2500ft above sea level you are technically stable on the Miller chart. 2700fps at 2000ft and you are still at an SG of 1.5 which is fully stabilized. Personally I'd throat the 270wsm and load the 170s if thats what you are wanting to shoot. Your next hurdle will be getting them to fit in the magazine.

Recent Posts