Sako rebarrel

Ftothfadd

Dear Members,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with rebarreling Sako rifles (85s and S20). Anyone knows if tikka prefits would work on Sako rifles? Any gunsmith over here or known who has a history working with Sako rifles?
I love their action and off the shelf accuracy and wondering what I will be able to do after the barrels are shot out.
Thank you for your help, Ferenc

I am sending mine, M995 .300 Win Mag, to PacNor. They will remove current tube, install the new tube and time the muzzle brake.

As far as Tikka and Sako being the same, I have no idea. I would guess that they are but a guess is all it would be.

Thank you both so far. As now Sako owns tikka, I would be shocked if their receiver threads would be different... But this would not be the first time when I am chocked.... ;_)

A Tikka prefit will thread (and headspace correctly) onto both Sako 85 & A7 actions. While I wouldn't recommend going out and purchasing either action for the purpose of building a semi-custom rifle off of it due to the limited aftermarket stock choices available, if you already have one of these rifles like I did and want to screw on a new tube you certainly can.

The attached photo is of a Sako A7 sporting a Carbonsix Tikka prefit chambered in 300wsm that I'm currently in the process of finishing up.

Attachments

• 300wsm A7.jpg
    300wsm A7.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 112
Thank you! That is a good looking rifle in the making. I have both 85s and a Sako S20. None of them needs a new pipe yet, but I wanted to know my options for the future. IS removing the barrel from the Sako action as difficult as allegedly it is with the tikka rifles?

So that A7 is the only Sako I have ever pulled a barrel off of, but it came off just fine. I have also done three Tikkas though, and I can assure you that all of them were a pain.

Thank you again! That is good to know!
I have a custom Sako 85 action with a custom stock and custom barrel and custom chamber in 300 PRC. I have a long range scope in 34 mm with a 56 mm bell glass and that has been the sticking point. Tally makes a good ring&base but in very high and high. Even with this large scope the least height is still giving me quite the gap at the bell/ barrel, I can almost get my little finger in the gap. Leupold makes a set of detachable rings in 34mm BUT the detachable set up is very wobbly. The fit is nice and low but the inability to lock in the connection points makes it a fail. Sako doesn't make a 34mm, these are the only two I have been able to find. I am looking for someone to precision weld the Leupold lower ring to base connection to get rid of the wobble. So.. beware of this limiting issue... I would of just stuck to 30 mm bases and rings had I known.

River's Bend Gun Co. Jeff Hayes owner. Worked for George Gardner as his Sako gunsmith. Jeff rebarreled my Sako 75 Grey Wolf. He's in Weston Mo.

Thank you. It looks there are a few options out there. Now a slightly different question, anyone knows how to reverse the boltstop on tikka and sako s20 rifles?

Recent Posts