Rebarrel

I will just about bet the 170 will stabilize tin a 1-9. Ive shot a bunch of 30 cals with 10 twist with 210-215's and all have stabilized and shot great at LR.
Hell I know guys who shoot 55'bergers out of 20 cals with 1-9 at 1000 and they also shoot great and the numbers say it shouldn't, remember the new world record was set with a 1-10 and 220's in a 300wsm at 1000.
TEST,TEST,TEST its the only way to find out.
O.P your #'s with a 1-9 and 270wsm 170 are just about exactly what a 30 cal 1-10 with 210-215 are.

Don't quote me on this but I think I read were Dave Tooley prefers a barrel bullet combo at 130 SG.
Found it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220722-154132_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220722-154132_Google.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Thanks for the all of the info guys. I for got to put in the thread that the barrel on the rifle is a 1 in 9 twist. That would limit my loads to 150gr or less. I really like the 170gr bullets for their benefit for long distance hunting. I do reload, but I'm just a hunter. Any target shooting at really long distance for me would be just practice.
As said, 9 twist is fine in your state at 2500 up for 170E. If your rifle is a Winchester M70, your mag length is good out to 3.0 which is also fine.

I shoot the 170EOL and 165ABLR out of my 27 " 6.8 western out to one mile. Berger recommends 1:9 twist or faster as does the Nosler. Berger has the twist listed on their yellow bullet box. I shoot in the California desert with this setup.

Mostly things I've read on hear from the guys that are competing in long range shoots. I guess that I'm going to have to start reloading.

If you are going to rebarrel anyway, why not step up to a 7mm or down to a 6.5mm and open up a world of choices? With a short action mag bolt face, there are so many more options available for bullets, brass, and cartridge choices. Plus, you hand load, so there are a plethora of SAAMI and wildcat chamberings to choose from that will work very well.

If you are going to rebarrel anyway, why not step up to a 7mm or down to a 6.5mm and open up a world of choices? With a short action mag bolt face, there are so many more options available for bullets, brass, and cartridge choices. Plus, you hand load, so there are a plethora of SAAMI and wildcat chamberings to choose from that will work very well.
I have a 300wsm already or I probably would have a 7saum.