Interarms mark x

BoatCapt

Im wanting to get into long range shooting. I have a Interarms mark x in 308 win with a heavy barrel at least #6 contour not real savvy on barrel weights.The reason I'm posting I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket stock for such a heavy barrel for a INTERARMS rifle. Wanting to dich the old wood stock. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Im wanting to get into long range shooting. I have a Interarms mark x in 308 win with a heavy barrel at least #6 contour not real savvy on barrel weights.The reason I'm posting I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket stock for such a heavy barrel for a INTERARMS rifle. Wanting to dich the old wood stock. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. I would suggest calling Boyds , maybe they can help. Is it a Howa action ? If so they have an inlet for it, I think. Anyway, give them a shout.

Did some more searching. The rifle you have could be a Zastava, which, from what I read, is close dimensionally to the Mauser 98 commercial, in which case one would think that options open up. Cool thing about a Boyds stock- it's wood. A guy with some patience and a Dremel, and a little thought, ought to be able to make it work. Just an opinion. Good luck.

While Boyds are good stocks. Richards Microfit have actual Mark X inlet stocks. Solid wood and laminated.

Richards Microfit will need you to do some work on it to get it finished out.

The one Boyds stick I have was straight up drop in. I did have to do a little inletting but nothing major. Plus it was finished up front.
20180203_165530635.jpeg

This is my Boyds drop in...

20170611_101222.jpg

This is a Richards MicroFit that required a lot of work.

I'm having trouble finding an aftermarket stock for such a heavy barrel for a INTERARMS rifle.

Commercial stocks for Mauser M98 or the Interarms Mark X are made for the most common barrel contour which is usually a sporter style, smaller in diameter than the larger diameters of the 'magnum' style. The reason is simple, they will sell more stocks for the drop-in crowd when the barreled actions feature these sporter barrels. They are not interested in marketing to the few exceptions so you have to either order it as a custom and wait or decide to let a gunsmith do the barrel channel inlet.

McMillan will inlet for the Mark X as pointed out above but they will need to know the barrel manufacturer and the contour number. Allow 4-6 months.

Richards will do the same inletting for you but again they need the barrel maker and contour number.

Bell and Carlson has a couple of stocks with their aluminum bedding block. The barrel channel will have to be addressed by you or your gunsmith as they come with the sporter contour.

Bear in mind that the Dremel tool so commonly touted as an amateur's inletting tool is the tool of the devil. It take skill and dexterity to handle it with any form of success. The best inletting is done by someone with the skill and machines (mills) to get the lines straight and the depth of cuts correct without having to resort to patching up their mistakes.

If you want a fairly simple solution, look at the B&C then let your gunsmith inlet the barrel channel. I suggest doing a skim bedding job on the bedding block but other find this to be unnecessary.

Good Luck with your project!

I'm not a gunsmith, just a diy guy, sandpaper wrapped around the appropriate dowel has worked very nice for me in sanding out a barrel channel on wood and laminate stocks. With care and patience you can get it done.

I've done a lot of work with a dremel, on other stuff. I would never attempt to sand a barrel channel out with one

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts