Inertia puller?

Tension is not friction, so the feel of seating, or outright measure of seating force, can be completely independent of actual tension.

If you take necks to squeaky clean, bullets to squeaky clean, and partial NS to cause an interference fit of -10tou of cal, you will experience enough seating force that you should know you're damaging bullets.
In contrast, leave carbon in necks, coat bullets with a slippery dry film (like WS2), and NS to leave an interference of -1thou of cal, you'll find seating force is very low, and very precise.
Fire the two across a chronograph,, NO DIFFERENCE in MV.

Now size two necks down to -1thou interference, one sized 1/2 seated bearing length, the other full seated bearing length.
Fire the two across a chronograph,, SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE in MV.
This is because neck tension = spring back force per area it's gripping.

Bullets are not pushed out of necks. They're released from necks.
And with so much as a billionth of an inch neck expansion from cal, a bullet is freely loose. It is often implied that low neck clearance equates to higher pressures. This is hogwash. You can actually have very near zero neck clearance, and it makes no difference to bullet release. The only time a problem occurs is with interference fit between chamber and necks. Here, you have an extremely serious hazard, and so it's prudent to ensure it never happens, even from any grime in the chamber.
But when it comes right down to it, 1,000s of an inch clearance functions the same as 1,000 miles of clearance.

Last edited:
Another copy/paste to the Mikecr page
Tension is not friction, so the feel of seating, or outright measure of seating force, can be completely independent of actual tension.

If you take necks to squeaky clean, bullets to squeaky clean, and partial NS to cause an interference fit of -10tou of cal, you will experience enough seating force that you should know you're damaging bullets.
In contrast, leave carbon in necks, coat bullets with a slippery dry film (like WS2), and NS to leave an interference of -1thou of cal, you'll find seating force is very low, and very precise.
Fire the two across a chronograph,, NO DIFFERENCE in MV.

Now size two necks down to -1thou interference, one sized 1/2 seated bearing length, the other full seated bearing length.
Fire the two across a chronograph,, SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE in MV.
This is because neck tension = spring back force per area it's gripping.

Bullets are not pushed out of necks. They're released from necks.
And with so much as a billionth of an inch neck expansion from cal, a bullet is freely loose. It is often implied that low neck clearance equates to higher pressures. This is hogwash. You can actually have very near zero neck clearance, and it makes no difference to bullet release. The only time a problem occurs is with interference fit between chamber and necks. Here, you have an extremely serious hazard, and so it's prudent to ensure it never happens, even from any grime in the chamber.
But when it comes right down to it, 1,000s of an inch clearance functions the same as 1,000 miles of clearance.

I used my inertia hammer to do 60 rds today took about 1 hour for whole process including sifting the power and bullet out!

Im curious has anyone using inertia bullet puller ever had using it cause shoulder or neck issues to the case to point you had to resize again before reloading again?
I quickly noticed early on in reloading that some took a heck more of a whack to get the bullet out. I'm sure it was my lack of reloading skills then. Back then I was to naive to know about neck and shoulders but looking back I think it could have. Certainly damaged enough lead tipped bullets and spilled enough powder. I'm all about collet pullers now. I think it's quicker and easier on bullets. Besides breaking 2 hammers/pullers is just inconvenient.

I had a collet puller many years ago and found it to be a PITA. The inertia pullers work fine in most cases but really fall short in cases with light bullets where there is a fair amount of bullet grip, ie: ,223, 204, etc.

I also have a full set of grip-n-pull pullers. Generally, they work well but they are all but useless when the bullet shank is in the case mouth and the puller grips (mostly) on the bullet ojive.

Overall - the inertia puller gets used most on my bench but all the pullers have a place where they are preferable to the others.

Last edited:
Im curious has anyone using inertia bullet puller ever had using it cause shoulder or neck issues to the case to point you had to resize again before reloading again?

I have an RCBS inertia puller, use in all of the time. I've never had a shoulder shift problem. The things that I don't like about the inertia puller is that the bullet gets destroyed, and there's a mess inside of the puller once the bullet is knocked out. I also have an RCBS collet puller that I will use if I have a number of cases that I want to pull the heads on. It is caliber specific for collets, but it works great, and.....the bullet is reusable again.

Mine is Cabela's brand and has the rubber glued into bottom it does not hurt the bullet. I then use a powder funnel in top of powder jug dump powder and bullet into it and shake powder goes back to jug then i dump bullet into box and repeat. I had shoulders bumped back 3 thousands after removing the first few rounds I checked the cases to make sure they hadn't pulled forward banging the bullets out and all were good. Its slower than some of the new methods but still works and is cheap!

Had a primer go off using an inertia type, lucky for me the powder had dumped out of the case (and I hadn't noticed). I'm sure that .300 RUM's 90 sum-odd grains of powder igniting would have felt nice inches from my hand, not to mention the brass shrapnel.

......Had a primer go off using an inertia type, lucky for me the powder had dumped out of the case (and I hadn't noticed). I'm sure that .300 RUM's 90 sum-odd grains of powder igniting would have felt nice inches from my hand, not to mention the brass shrapnel.......

I've seen pictures of such a thing, not experienced it. I've had batches of ammo I swear I could have framed a house easier.

When I discovered collet pullers, I never looked back.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.