Inertia puller?

coop2564

Im curious has anyone using inertia bullet puller ever had using it cause shoulder or neck issues to the case to point you had to resize again before reloading again?

I used an inertia puller once and said never again. Go get the Hornady collet puller and be happy. There are also some plier like bullet pullers out there as well that get good reviews. I have never hand any issues with case dims after pulling bullet. I would recommend running cases back through the dies after pulling a bullet.

I have never used an inertia puller so I can't speak to that issue. I just have never liked the concept. I needed to pull some bullets recently but didn't have a puller. I took a pair of pliers, ground a rounded groove in the jaws with a dremmel, to use simply remove die from press, raise the ram, grip the bullet with the pliers and then lower the ram. Worked very well without marring the bullets.

Nothing wrong with resizing but I've had zero shift in groups with any that I've pulled and reused. I factory crimp (lightly) most of my rounds which may be a contributing factor. On the target though, there is no appreciable difference from what is surely "slightly" less neck tension than before the bullet was seated/pulled/reseated.

I'm with jrock on this one. I use a hammer bullet puller only on pistol shells.
I have and use a Hornady collet bullet puller. I run the cases through a neck sizing die just to assure proper neck tension. (JUST MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE DECAPPING PIN SO YOU CAN LEAVE THE PRIMER IN THE CASE). I do not like the thought of trying to remove a live primer with a de-capping pin.
If the primer is the reason for bullet pulling, To save powder and bullet. once the bullet is pulled, And powder secured, Run the case through the rifle and pop the primer. Then just deprime and neck size as a normal fired case.

From an engineering point, The Hornady collet pullers is one of the best. once you tighten the collet on the bullet, The harder you pull on the bullet, The tighter the collet grips the bullet.

Im curious has anyone using inertia bullet puller ever had using it cause shoulder or neck issues to the case to point you had to resize again before reloading again?
Get the Grip-N-pull and you'll never use anything else. Doesn't touch the case at all and doesn't damage the bullets. No spilling powder either.

https://grip-n-pull.com/

I used an inertia puller for a long time, I don't recommend it. Or the Forster collet style die puller I use for .338 bullets. The Forster die style works well but it's time consuming.

The grip n pull is much easier, faster, and you don't have to slam a loaded cartridge against the concrete.

The reason you don't have to resize a neck after inertial bullet pulling, as some here have discovered, is because neck tension is separate and different from excess interference fit.

That bullet you need to pull had expanded the neck when it was seated. It's held in place by the neck's springback force, which is ~1thou (max). When you pull the bullet, that neck will spring back ~1thou (max). Now you seat a new or same bullet in that neck and it expands ~1thou, right back where it was before pulling a bullet. NO CHANGE. With this, 1thou is all the interference fit needed, as further downsizing will get you no more tension (only greater seating forces -while using a bullet to upsize).

Mikecr, I agree with your logic. However, the "feel" of seating the bullet in a pulled case and even when I resize the pulled case is different than a non-pulled case. I've never mic'ed it even though I have the tools. Based the the feel, I resize. Although, I bet I couldn't shoot well enough to tell the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.