Broke my 1st inertia hammer ...

I used a Hammer puller for a few years and one of the 4 wings that catch the bullet in the bottom broke and it started messing up the tips of the bullet.

I bought a Hornady lever action collet type, and 22,6mm,270, 30 and 338 collets. You adjust the lever to pull the collet snug on the bullet, Then the more pull that is applied with the press the tighter it grips the bullet.

The engineering of this system fits my brains mechanical thoughts. The collet has a male cone taper going down into a female cone taper, As pull is added to the bullet and collet it pulls the collet into the female collet making it tighter.

If you are pulling military lacquered bullets. Run the shells through a seating die and seat the bullet a few thousands deeper to break the sealant bond between the case mouth and bullet which makes for easier pulling. A trick I learned over 50 years ago from the 1st Army Marksman Unit crew when breaking down military shells to build their match ammo.

On wood only! As you can see on the picture, like new and no impact evidence harder than wood ...

All of mine have broke when using a wood block. I now use a smooth brick or just go out my back door and use the concrete pad. Have not broke one since. Don't have to hit hard to work.
I am pretty sure that the wood absorbs a lot of the impact force, and as such it needs to be hit harder and more times to do the job.

All of mine have broke when using a wood block. I now use a smooth brick or just go out my back door and use the concrete pad. Have not broke one since. Don't have to hit hard to work.
I am pretty sure that the wood absorbs a lot of the impact force, and as such it needs to be hit harder and more times to do the job.

I've been pounding my Frankford Arsenal on the same piece of wood for the last 8 years without any issues.

Anyways, I spoke to an RCBS rep and all I have to do is send a part of the broken piece and they'll replace it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FA Bullet Puller.jpg
    FA Bullet Puller.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 59
Thinking about getting one of these. Looks awesome and easy and fast. any one use one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQPsmgz_HAQ

Larry

Yep, that's the one that some of us have mentioned.
It's a good tool to have available but it isn't the be all end all. It gives me fits trying to grip a bullet that has a bit of neck tension or doesn't have a lot of meat exposed, i.e. factory or mil ammo.

I sent RCBS a email on a primer seater assembly, I told them to send me a address so I can send the parts in to be replaced. They said no need the parts are on the way.... I even offered to pay for them because of user error. "Nope don't worry about it", they said.. Customer service is exceptional....

I spoke to a RCBS rep yesterday AM and all I have to do is send a piece of the broken item for a replacement.

Never said that they would not warranty it. They are great about that. But their design has a flaw in it, otherwise they would not have to replace so many.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.