I know I am not the only one: Weatherby 307

Since this thread is supposed to be about the Weatherby 307, I just want to know (no opinions), does the Weatherby have the tolerances to accept prefit barrels. Either it does or it doesn't.

Did some looking around and different prefit options and looks like you can order shouldered 307 barrels through OMR:

Today at Scheels in The Colony, Texas I was able to see the Model 307 up close and in several different flavors. Here's a picture of the 307 with the FDE type cerakote in 7 mm PRC. I'm really really impressed with the fit and finish of this receiver; the bolt is very nice and very smooth. So far I'm impressed.

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpeg
    IMG_5929.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I used a 307 Range XP in 308 win on a moose hunt this year. I really like the action and it shot moa or slightly better with Barnes Vortx 168 TTSX ammo. I will most likely re-barrel to a 7mm-08 eventually or 7mm SAW. Not sure about the prefits, but I thought I heard on a podcast early on that it may take savage/stiller prefits. I know that's what they say about the scope mounts though so maybe I am not remembering correctly. Speaking of scope mounts, the 307 short action does not take a savage/stiller one piece pic rail ( The hole spacing is off). I had to use a two piece stiller rail. As far as the rifle goes, the barreled action and trigger are worth your money, but the Range XP stock is not great. Every review says the Range XP stock is really good, but the front section is flimsy and contacts the barrel side to side with minimal torque on the grip over a bipod. I just ordered a MDT HNT26 chassis to remedy this issue. By the way, you can purchase a 307 Range XP for 1150.00 and HNT26 chassis separately for 1500.00 and have the Alpine for 2650.00 but the Alpine sells for 2800.00

Was able to look at the 307 in Scheels this weekend. It looked heavy and when I picked it up was very surprised. Fit and finish also looked very good. Action was super smooth. Trigger was a bit heavy but is adjustable.

Looked it up and the rifle is 7.5lbs as it sits.

1698717158672.png

Last edited:
I saw them at scheels a couple weeks ago. I don't love spiral flutes, but I still really want one in fast twist 243 win.

Overall for the price point I think it is a great option.
My buddy just got the 243 for a night time thermal rifle. Waiting on the scope rail rail so we haven't shot it yet. Don't really need the fast twist for his application, but it has everything else he was looking for. Threaded, a bit shorter barrel, adjustable comb height, and mid priced.

Are these rifles offered in a hinged floor plate model or at least a flush DBM option. Don't like the AICS mag hanging below the trigger guard. Only photos I've seen are a chassis version or with the long dbm's.

Are these rifles offered in a hinged floor plate model or at least a flush DBM option. Don't like the AICS mag hanging below the trigger guard. Only photos I've seen are a chassis version or with the long dbm's.
MDT should have a 3 round mag which is flush fit for AICS

Just an update I bought a 307 in 240 weatherby. I changed the trigger to a triggertech 2 stage diamond and the stock to a mesa precision. I loaded some handloads and in two range trips got a powder charge and tested seating depth with the 90 Accubond. The one pic with the flyer was me and I pulled the shot. I am very pleased with the rifle and my boy loves it. Pics of some 4 shot groups with .010 difference in seating

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 27

Recent Posts