So I’m not the only one... 264 Win Mag

Well that settles it!
The only thing I don't like about the rifle so far is the gold trigger!

Seriously interested in one. If yours shoots well, i'll be wanting to go down and pick mine up!

Please let us all know how it does!

Wait, 105? Where you located?

I just put a Timney in it Saturday, not quite as pretty as the factory gold trigger but much better at 2lbs. I am in the Phoenix Metro area.

What velocity difference are you seeing between barrel lengths? I'm guessing substantial that ur wanting to build a 32"!
The 26" with 140gr Hybrids gets 3223fps average, the 28" gets 3288fps and the 30" gets 3347fps. These same barrels run around 20fps slower with Nosler 142gr ABLR's. Still waiting for my 140gr RDF's to show up.

I'm hoping to hit 3400fps with the 32" barrel, this will buck wind better than any of the other barrels. This is why I run so many barrels, if it's windy, I choose the longer barrel.
I also run a 6.5x47 in a 30" barrel, but it has 2 sisters that are 26" and 28" as well for the same reason. I also run a 300WM, in the same configuration, but they are 28", 30" & 32".
I like velocity, BUT accuracy ALWAYS trumps speed.

Cheers.
:D

Howdy neighbor!
Little north of you at Black Canyon.

Lmao@ the pimp trigger!
My Browning A5 has one too...

It looks like your rifle's receiver is hex shaped. Is that shape continued on the bottom (stock side) as well?

Where did you pick it up? I've looked at sportsman's and cabela's online, and they don't even list it!

Howdy neighbor!
Little north of you at Black Canyon.

Lmao@ the pimp trigger!
My Browning A5 has one too...

It looks like your rifle's receiver is hex shaped. Is that shape continued on the bottom (stock side) as well?

Where did you pick it up? I've looked at sportsman's and cabela's online, and they don't even list it!

It is a standard X-bolt action as far as I know. I got this one a Davidsons GOG and found one at Hinterland Outfitters once. They don't last long when they get them in, so sign up for an alert and let er rip! I think Browning has another model in 264 with a heavier barrel, but I could never find one.

Browning also made a limited run of their composite stalker in 264 wm, 1:8 twist with factroy brake. I have absolutely no need for one, buy knowing how good my other x-bolt rifles shoot has me interested!

When my dad started talking about building me a rifle when I was 12yo. I had just read something about the 264wm and ask if he would build in it 264wm.

He said a 270win was just as good and had numbers almost matching a magnum. So that's what he built.

That left me wanting one since 1973! So last year (2017) my first Savage build where I could do all the assembly work myself...I built myself a 264wm. It' not the prettiest rifle I own but it is a sweet shooter. It really sparked my interest in the caliber.

I now have way more 6.5 rifles than any guy needs and have no plans to part with any of them.

The first 6.5 I had built was for the wife on a Colombian Mauser action. 6.5-06, then came the 264wm. Then I got a deal on a 6.5x284 Savage barrel, Lupa brass and die set. So now I have one of them. I wanted the wife and I to have nearly matching 6.5's (my 6.5x284) so I built yet another Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor for her. I also had an old intermediate length mauser so I built it into a 6.5x55 that I did all the work on it. Turning the bolt and headspace the Brownells short chambered barrel...Mesquite stock...

Then the grand kids wanted to shoot a deer possibly this fall. I had a couple worthless AR-15's hiding in the back of the safe I had built years ago...now I have a 18" and 20" barreled 6.5 Grendel's.

So in the last year I've accumulated 6 different 6.5's in 7 different rifles...all in the last 15 months!

My wife thinks I might be something wrong with me...who knows she might be right....

I was always told 264 win mag being so over bore was a barrel burner, not to expect more then 1500-2000, shots before you could expect erosion problems.. Is that not the case with the newer barrels ?

There is way too much weight given to barrel life on hunting rifles. There isn't a restriction on how many or how often you can buy a barrel.

Powder Charge-Bore Capacity-Barrel Life.jpeg

I was always told 264 win mag being so over bore was a barrel burner, not to expect more then 1500-2000, shots before you could expect erosion problems.. Is that not the case with the newer barrels ?
Any high intensity cartridge, regardless if it is 'overbore' or not, will have similar barrel wear within 'x' amount of rounds.
The belted mags, except the 458WM/Lott, will have very similar barrel life.

I am currently on 1422 rounds down the 26" tube in 264 for F-Class, throat erosion is at .068", another .020" or so will be expected in 3 matches or so, then it will be set back a thread or two and re-chambered.
This amount of barrel wear is no different to my other 264 barrels, 300WM barrels, 6.5-284 or 25-06. In fact, my 25-06 tends to wear more per 100 rounds than I expected. 200 rounds in and the throat extended .028"!

If you don't 'burn' a barrel up, which is shooting it until it smokes, and stop shooting when the barrel is just hot enough that you can grab it without discomfort, then barrel life will be longer than expected, even in overbore situations. My old 264 barrel is well into 3000 rounds and will still hold under MoA. I use it for culling, as a set back will no longer be viable and if it gets hot, I'm not too concerned.
Shooting 10-15 deer in a few minutes is not uncommon here. So normally we use 2-3 shooters, but I have had to do this by myself quite a few times. I also use my 25-06 for this task, barrels heat up quick.

Erosion isn't a problem, or THE problem, it's how you recognise the erosion and how you deal with it. If you keep the barrel clean of CARBON, this will drastically effect HOW the haze cracking progresses.
COPPER fouling poses less of a risk. If the bore is bright and shiny, but still shows copper streaking near the muzzle, it shouldn't pose a problem to barrel life. Barrels don't need to be SQUEAKY clean, just use a good CARBON cleaner when required and you're good to go for another 100-200 rounds with cleaning when accuracy drops away.

Cheers.

Running a factory 9 twist now, probably move to a 7.5 or 8 twist.

Truthfully, I am only looking to run the Berger 156 gr once it finally comes out.

Running Hornady 147 ELDM currently.
147 eldm in a 9twist? Extra throating I assume? Thanks

...........I was always told 264 win mag being so over bore was a barrel burner, not to expect more then 1500-2000, shots before you could expect erosion problems.. Is that not the case with the newer barrels ?.......

...............If you don't 'burn' a barrel up, which is shooting it until it smokes, and stop shooting when the barrel is just hot enough that you can grab it without discomfort, then barrel life will be longer than expected, even in overbore situations. My old 264 barrel is well into 3000 rounds and will still hold under MoA. I use it for culling, as a set back will no longer be viable and if it gets hot, I'm not too concerned.
There is way too much weight given to barrel life on hunting rifles. There isn't a restriction on how many or how often you can buy a barrel.

.....One has to define "shot out", if you're a serious bench rest shooter losing 0.1" in 5 or ten shot groups may be an issue, but in a hunting rifle????

Funny, but the .264 is probably a more conservative 6.5 these days.

147 eldm in a 9twist? Extra throating I assume? Thanks

No sir. Factory Remington Sendero with untouched chamber or throat.
I have close to 100 rounds through this barrel, so still pretty new.

Hornady recommends an 8.5 twist for the 147 ELDM, but this rifle seems to shoot them ok.

I have 2.777" Base To Lands Measurement with this bullet.
COAL is 3.375" on the "touching" measurement.

I measure using a fired case that has been neck sized, then the case neck cut once down to beginning of shoulder neck junction with a Dremel tool and deburred. I place the bullet in the neck and seat it in the rifle. Usually takes a couple of chamberings to get a consistent reading. The lowest consistent reading means the bullet is at the lands and not being pulled back out of the case by them.

I shoot them -.010" off those measurements.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.