So I’m not the only one... 264 Win Mag

Never tried Bertram brass. I know their brass was sketchy early on, but supposedly their QC is a lot better these days. Don't know if I want to pay $155 per hundred of 6.5 Rem Mag brass just to see if it will hold up with an extra 50 fps. Animals aren't going to know the difference between 3200 and 3250 anyhow.

Remington 6.5 RM brass, as bad as it is, can be prepped to be decent. My 6.5 Rem Mag is a 1/4 MOA hunting rifle (1.5" groups at 600 yards). My son's 6.5 Rem Mag is in early stages of load development and already has 3 loads producing groups in the 0.4's at 100 yards.

But Remington brass is very hard to come by these days as the 6.5 Rem Mag is nearly obsolete in the shooting world. Just no demand for it. Good to know there is Bertram brass available. Thanks for that.

I own a 6.5 Remington mag not to be confused with 264 Win, I had bought a form due to make the brass from any belted mag brass of the style. I also own a 350 Remington Mag and had bought 200 cases several years ago, now I neck those down for my 6.5 Remington mag, much easier

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a 264 win lover as well and just acquired a Cooper Long Range 264win (with proof carbon barrel). Rel 33 with 140 NAB shoots .6 MOA at approximately 3180 FPS....Any other load recommendations for a deer/elk rifle out to 600 yards? Or, stop looking and enjoy shooting :)

I'm running Retumbo and 140 Accubonds from my older M70 Classic. Getting just a skosh over 3200 and accuracy is very good so far. Not much I wouldn't hunt with the combo. 33 was very good as well.

I'd enjoy your combo and have fun with it.

I'm running Retumbo and 140 Accubonds from my older M70 Classic. Getting just a skosh over 3200 and accuracy is very good so far. Not much I wouldn't hunt with the combo. 33 was very good as well.

I'd enjoy your combo and have fun with it.
I run Retumbo in my Win Mag as well with 140 Bergers. Good velocity and accuracy. Hits like a hammer on deer.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a 264 win lover as well and just acquired a Cooper Long Range 264win (with proof carbon barrel). Rel 33 with 140 NAB shoots .6 MOA at approximately 3180 FPS....Any other load recommendations for a deer/elk rifle out to 600 yards? Or, stop looking and enjoy shooting :)
Retumbo and 140 Bergers. My rifle consistently holds .4 MOA. Very effective at longer ranges. Killed two does at tick over 560 yds a couple of years ago and neither moved out of their tracks. Fantastic caliber and load

You guys running Retumbo want to share your load data and rifle data?
I've used Retumbo in the past in two of my 264win rifles with Berger 140 vid hunters and 140 hybrids. I ran into pressure around 68g and found best accuracy at 65g in one rifle and slightly more with the other. Both settled in around 3,150 - 3,170fps. Nothing faster would hold acceptable accuracy or SD. YMMV.

Early '70s stock M700 Remington
24" bbl, glass bedded with Jewell Trigger
69 gr Retumbo
Nosler Brass
WLRM primers
140 HVLD...010" off lands
.4" accuracy

Last edited:
You guys running Retumbo want to share your load data and rifle data?
Custom build on a left over Winchester action I had laying around. 28" 1:8 twist Kreiger, McMillan A5 stock, Jewel trigger built by Leonard Baity in NC. Love the rifle, awesome bean field gun.

As for the load, proceed with caution of course. I started with 66 gr of Retumbo and worked my way up another grain or so. 140 Berger hunting VLD .025 off the lands. Fed 210M primers. Necks turned just enough to clean them up

No sir, I have not. I did shoot a few 130 Bergers through mine with RL 22 and had ok results, but never tried them with Retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts