264 win mag throat need longer one

dgr416

I have two Ruger model 77s in stainless 264 win mag.The throat is for factory ammo.It shoots 3/8" groups at 200 yards now should I rethroat it.I cant use any other bullets other than remington or winchester 140 gr.I usually use 155 gr lapula bullets that are awesome.Should i throat it for the Lapula bullets or go head and make it a hair longer for the 160 gr hornady bullets?

I would imagine your magazine box is your limiting fatory of your using the rifle as a repeater.

TO be honest, if your getting that level of accuracy from a factory Ruger rifle, I would leave it as is and be very happy with it.

If you want longer bullets to use then throating the rifle will make an over all length longer then that will work in your rifles mag box, if that is a concern of yours?

I just modified a Ruger M77 MkII and rebarreled it for the 358 STA, a full length magnum action.

The Ruger M77 MkII can be modified for a longer Rem 700 box length but the standard M77 can not.

This would allow youto load the bullets as long as you wanted and still use the mag box as well.

I guess it all comes down to if you want to use the magazine or not.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have the problem of the bullets coming allose when I seat them so deep.I dont want to loose this awesome accuracy but I need the bullets seated as far as the magazine will let you.Do you think a stainless Mark II Ruger will handle a 416 rem mag.If so what stock would you use.I heard it will split the factory wood in bigger calibers.I want a stainless Ruger model 77 in 416 rem mag tyhanks mike

The Ruger M77MkII action can certainly be modified to handle the 416 Rem. There is a decent amount of action work that needs to be done but it can easily be done.

As far as stocks go.

The stock I fitted to the 358 STA was a Boyds Laminate with reenforcement pins fitted behind the recoil lug area and in the bridge of the stock just ahead of the trigger.

So far the stock has held up fine. I highly recommend a quality bedding job for such a round on the Ruger M77 MkII as the recoil Lug is small to begin with and the extra strength of the bedding will help the stock survive well.

This project is certainly doable. The M77 came in the 458 Win Mag which will produce a bit more recoil then the 416 Rem with max loads.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If what i hear about the 264 is true; just shoot a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo
the short throat will take care of its self
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.