Which caliber? (I know...I know..this question)

Which caliber?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 6.5creed

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 7mm-08

• Different caliber?

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Don't touch and pass down

• Total voters

Backcountry_IDN

I need help deciding. I know....this question.

So I have a ton of hunts next season which is great. But in turn is stressing me out and its not even close.

I have;
(For sure)
spring bear in Idaho
Antelope in Wyoming
Muledeer in Wyoming
Elk in Idaho
Mule deer in Idaho
Whitetail in Nebraska

(Hopefulls)
Antelope in Idaho
Mule deer in Arizona
Sheep or moose in Idaho

This is a lot and I'm excited. But more than half of these are pack in hunts. My current rifle is almost 11lbs. Not going to fly with me.

My first rifle that my parents bought me is a savage/Stevens model 200 youth size .308. Back when I was 12

I don't shoot it or use it anymore and definitely won't get rid of it.

.308? 7mm-08? 6.5creed?
Which caliber? And why? I'm not opposed at others either.

Or buy a donor rifle and keep this as is to pass down to my son?

Will be ordering:
-featherweight contour 24inch
-McMillan stock (edge tech)
-Leupold vx5hd/NF ultralight rings

Pic for attention. Back in 2015 with the rifle
FB_IMG_1554515429096.jpg

What's the furthest shot you'd be willing to make? Are you recoil sensitive? Do you dial/hold a firing solution all the time? If not do you rely on point blank shots?

I ask because 7mm-08 will probably be the better option out of the options you asked about, but in a biased opinion I'd be inclined to suggest a magnum over any of those depending on the average distance you'd be willing to make a shot at. Just me though and probably wouldn't save you weight.

It's pretty hard to beat the 280 Ackley for an all around rifle. More and more manufacturers are chambering it now and loading ammo. My brother in law just got one of the new savage 110 high country rifles. He gave it to me to sight in and it shot 3/4" at 100 yards with factory Hornady 162 eldx ammo. Once again a savage made me question why I spend so much on higher end rifles.

6.5-284 would be right behind the 280 Ackley on my list.

What's the furthest shot you'd be willing to make? Are you recoil sensitive? Do you dial/hold a firing solution all the time? If not do you rely on point blank shots?

I ask because 7mm-08 will probably be the better option out of the options you asked about, but in a biased opinion I'd be inclined to suggest a magnum over any of those depending on the average distance you'd be willing to make a shot at. Just me though and probably wouldn't save you weight.
I'm good with recoil, and I'd like to shoot no further than 600 at most. Depending on my energy distance.

I'd love to do a lightweight .300, but then my .300wm now would be almost pointless to have.

If your going to stick to short action, standard bolt face 7mm 08 is hard to beat. If you want to change your bolt face and get in to short mags which opens up a bunch of great options 6.5 PRC, 7 Saum, 300 wsm.

If it was me I would keep your 308 as is and build something better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.