Moly Coated Bullets - YES I know.....

G

That this has probably been a topic in the past. But, I was wondering if you need to prep. your barrel before shooting Moly Coated Bullets or can I just use Moly Coated Bullets without preparing the barrel?
Will I notice a difference if I don't prep. the barrel? (Accuracy!) :> )

Need a little help in this field?

Thanks,
BearMan

Used to be a big fan of moly but have limited it to high volume prairie dog rounds lately.To get the most out of moly you will have to prep the bore.By preping it has to be squeeke clean with no copper or fowling in the barrel.Moly has a bad habit of makeing a small problem a big one as it builds up...real fast in some cases!!
The next thing is to get the very clean barrel warmed up a little(bright sunlight works good,dash of pickup works great)and then put an even coat of moly bore prep throught the barrel being carefull not to get any in the chamber.
If you are useing reloads chances are your gona have to start all over with load development as moly will change peak preasues and slow down a bullet.
Some have said moly causes pitting and corrotion and I have proven it can but my Ruger VT in 223 has 6500 rounds down the barrel and I can not see any sign of pitting.I'll know more when the barrel is pulled and rechambered to 223AI(havent ben able to find the lands with a bullet the last couple of years ;-)
If you deside moly is too much of a pain it can be removed with a lot of patches soakt in dishwashing soap,dishsoap also works to get moly off of the bullets.

I used to shoot a lot of .224 abnd 6mm moly coated bullets. Like was said above, the bore MUST be absolutely clean or you are wasting your time.

The advantage for moly for me was that I didn't get as much fouling, and could maintain peak accuracy for more shots between cleanings.

I was shooting in match where we shot 40 rounds plus sighters, so you often shot 50 rounds between cleaning and you could see your groups open up with plain bullets, but with moly I never noticed any loss of accuracy over 50 rounds.

Good Luck

FWIW I've shot a number of barrels out with Moly. In 223. I would fire up to 300+ rounds and still have match winning accuracy with a service rifle out to 600 yards. No buildup etc... When I did clean I'd use abrasives in the barrel so that may have helped.

AS to conditioning in a new barrel it might take 80 rounds to settle in good but IMHO about the same as bare. Want it out of the barrel? Fire a bare bullet. Moly can be taken off the bullets by a couple of things(I dont recall right now) by wiping OR tumble it off.

I'd clean a barrel and go to a match with a clean DRY barrel. First round was in the X ring if I held it there.

I think a lot of the negative things are just hype. I"ve never seen a negative effect in my shooting anyway.

Jeff

I've been shooting moly bullets and coating them with the NECO kit for years. I've done this primarily for my varmint rifles.

I have seen no ill effects from using moly in any of my custom barrels. Some users say that moly can extend barrel life while others refute that claim. I really don't whether it does or not but I can tall you that my 22-243AI has fired nearly 1,000 moly-coated bullets and still shoots very tight groups. I never expected to get much more than a thousand rounds out of the rifle.

To answer your question: I have NEVER pre-seasoned a barrel with moly. It is also a good idea to avoid getting moly in the chamber.

I start with a CLEAN bore and then just break-in with moly bullets. None of my moly guns have ever seen a naked bullet. I do all of my load development with moly bullets.

I don't bother with moly in my biggame rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.