Anyone know what this is?

It appears to be a Belgium FN Mauser action. The stock is definately a custom of some sort. Receiver is marked "Crown Guns Lynwood Calif"

Barrel is only marked with 300 H&H and trigger says "Jaeger".

Really just looking for some history info. Also has a compass built into the rear of the stock. Craftsmanship is amazing.

View attachment 250713View attachment 250714View attachment 250715View attachment 250716View attachment 250717
Well, that don't suck. Very Nice rifle.
The folks at Weatherby might lend you some info on the builder. Looks to me like something made in the 50's or 60's. Lynnwood,CA is not far from Southgate,Ca. which was Weatherby's original location.
and in those days the gunsmiths where pretty famous people. (before anti gunning was fashionable)
Also,as many of you will know, "Jaeger" means "Hunter"
A So.Cal. Gunsmith name: Bob Day/ R&D Barrel Service, (562) 923-3608 Specializing in Fine Shotguns may also have a lead on some info for you.
Wow, that is sure a beauty.

Last edited:
Just to toss one more rifle into the pot, a couple of months before the L.A. riots, I found a 56 vintage Model 70 in Arlington Pawn. The rifle had been converter from 300 H&H to '300 W', which a Cerrocast Revealed to be 300 Weatherby. The stock had been replaced with a much nicer one with ebony accents and the dull finish on the metal replaced with a bright, deep blue. As this part of L.A. is close to South Gate, I imagine it was taken to Roy's shop and the overhaul done. Bought it for $100.00 out the door. The moral is that some inner city pawnshops have great deals on firearms the locals have no interest in!

Wow never heard of such a thing. Would love to see the owners other items that share the same etching.....
I think I had read about them in Popular Science or Outdoor Life (my two main sources of knowledge when I was younger) in the "ad" section at the back of the magazines. When we moved back here to NE Ohio, just a few miles from our house is a WW2 vet and his wife. He still has his "engraving tool" and he had his code etched in his Farmall "C" tractor and his Troy-Bilt rototiller. After all those years it came back to me as I was pointing at the "script" on the 'tiller, and he said, "Oh yes, anything that's important gets my ID..." and then he showed my the tool. Kind of like a "Dremel Tool" with a carbide or diamond bit on the end. Learn something new every day, otherwise you're just taking up space! ;)

New question from the peanut gallery... do the floor plate and action screws have the scalloped edges? My Dad's Mauser 98 has them, as do Ithaca 37's. Just wondering if during the "customization" process they might have replaced the screws with "standard" head screws. Thanks!

I think I had read about them in Popular Science or Outdoor Life (my two main sources of knowledge when I was younger) in the "ad" section at the back of the magazines. When we moved back here to NE Ohio, just a few miles from our house is a WW2 vet and his wife. He still has his "engraving tool" and he had his code etched in his Farmall "C" tractor and his Troy-Bilt rototiller. After all those years it came back to me as I was pointing at the "script" on the 'tiller, and he said, "Oh yes, anything that's important gets my ID..." and then he showed my the tool. Kind of like a "Dremel Tool" with a carbide or diamond bit on the end. Learn something new every day, otherwise you're just taking up space! ;)
Im about 40 miles east of Cleveland!

A Mannlicher stocked 300 H&H with checkering and incised Artistic woodwork. There can't be ten like this in the entire United States!

Finally got to do some shooting. Shot some factory Federal 180 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and tried some reloads. I loaded IMR4350 w/ 180 gr Sciroccos and 165 gr Remington Accutips. I got around 1" groups with minimal bullet seating. Both groups seemed to be around 15 thou off the lands. I bought a few very old boxes of Remington 180 gr Core Lokts and I put two in one hole with the 3rd about 3/4" away.

Not too shabby for a 70 year old gun, a 10x scope and shooting off a bag of corn!

One thing that bugs me is that after a few shots, the muzzle and stock separate, close to 1/4" gap between the two and the barrel goes up tight to the left side of the stock.

Also, it will only shoot 3 rounds before it starts walking. Not horrible but for the few groups that were around 1", the 1st 3 shots are right there and the next two climb up about an inch.

This isn't a long range target rifle. But I'm a little concerned with the movement of the barrel and the stock and fear cracking the wood. Wondering if a pressure point or a full glass bed would resolve this? Its currently free floated the entire length.

Last edited:
180 gr Swift Scirocco
20210228_162010.jpg

165 gr Remington Accutip
20210228_162006.jpg

Factory Remington 180gr Core Lokt
20210228_162722.jpg

Some very nice stock work- birdseye maple stock ??? Its a German action would like to see the top of the action & full shot of action ! It has some nice work into it for sure and a handsome stock, the best of luck with it !!!!! CZ been out there for quite a while now. Any markings on the action itself ?