I have a friend that wants a new 300 wm rifle

Did you know those are "reject" barrels that aren't good enough to be M-24's?

They started the selling 5r's to keep from having to take a loss from tossing out those barrels.

http://www.snipercentral.com/remington-700-milspec-5r/
That is NOT true anymore. I've read that article before. It started out that way almost 20 years ago, but after the first couple years they were so popular, they started using proper M24 blanks. Don't spread internet gossip based on speculation and assumption, there's too much disinformation out there as it is, don't add to it.

This is straight from the article...
Now, this was how it all started, and to be honest I do not know if that is where the barrels continue to come from today or if they are new production on the M24 tooling.

Last edited:
Ohhh that got the supporters panties wadded up!!!
Yeah, if something is true, then it's one thing, but if it's not, that's how disinformation gets started. The internet is full of bullcrap as it is, no need to add to it. It was the way he worded it that set me off. Because they're no longer made from reject barrels, and haven't been for a long time.

No worse than Savage supporters refusing to admit their precious actions are a 90% ripoff of a 700. And 6.5CM supporters refusing to accept their cartridge doesn't have magical powers.

Yeah, if something is true, then it's one thing, but if it's not, that's how disinformation gets started. The internet is full of bullcrap as it is, no need to add to it. It was the way he worded it that set me off. Because they're no longer made from reject barrels, and haven't been for a long time.

No worse than Savage supporters refusing to admit their precious actions are a 90% ripoff of a 700. And 6.5CM supporters refusing to accept their cartridge doesn't have magical powers.
Man you set the bar for fan boys!!

Your right the Savage jacked the OD diameter and bolt diameter, everything else is different but I'm sure it adds up to 90%

Don't spread internet gossip based on speculation and assumption, there's too much disinformation out there as it is, don't add to it.

The source seems to be credible, and says they don't know if they still use m-24 rejects.

That is NOT true anymore.
And what is your source for that?

The internet is full of bullcrap as it is
On that we can agree.
That's why I gave a source for my information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_700
In 2002, catering to long range varmint and target shooters, Remington introduced the 5-R "Mil-Spec" as a small-quantity production run stainless steel rifle, matched to a non-adjustable H-S Precision stock with an aluminum bedding block with two forward sling swivel studs.

The "Mil-Spec" refers solely to the 5-R rifling profile designed by Boots Obermeyer and used in the single broach-cut barrels he produces for use in the M24, M40, and other sniper rifle systems.

The contour of the hammer-forged production Remington barrel is much thinner than that used in the M24 and M40 rifle systems.

Last edited:
The source seems to be credible, and says they don't know if they still use m-24 rejects.

And what is your source for that?
I never said the guy wasn't credible, I said that the way you worded it, as if they are still all built using them, was a definitive. The article even says they are unsure, but your comment stated that they all are. That's where I was tweaked about the disinformation part of it, because several other people's comments showed they believed your post to be 100% accurate.

As for my source, it's is common sense (and talking to several Remington reps). It's been a continuous production rifle since around 2010 (and the model itself has been in production since around 2000), therefore there is no way they have enough reject M24 blanks to build all those rifles to keep supplies satisfied. They have to source barrels from somewhere... If you don't have enough reject blanks of a certain barrel type, where do you go from there? Step up and go to the "PASSED" inspection barrel bin, or use up all your reject barrels, then once that supply is dried-up, you start building them all with proper barrels, and continue down this path.

Last edited:
As for my source, it's is common sense
So you really don't have a source.
That's cool.

and the model itself has been in production since around 2000
2002 would be the correct year.
It's in my last post.

They still call some of them "Limited Editions" which seems to imply they don't just make as many as they want.
(Unless it's purely marketing hype, which is what I think it is.).

I'll take your advice about not believing unsourced internet rumors though.

I have a question on those 5r guns it looks like they have a gen one and gen 2 which is better and do they have 26 inch barrels and also discussing barrel length is 24 inch magnum really worth it isn't the whole point of a magnum to get extra velocity

I have a question on those 5r guns it looks like they have a gen one and gen 2 which is better and do they have 26 inch barrels and also discussing barrel length is 24 inch magnum really worth it isn't the whole point of a magnum to get extra velocity
Essentially, they are identical, other than aesthetics. The Gen 2 has a fluted & threaded barrel, a brown & black web stock, and the metal is cerakote finished in black. Other than that, it's the same stainless steel action, same 416R stainless 5R barrel, and same brand and model HS Precision stock as the Gen 1 models.

Barrel length is as much preference as it is performance. Yes, longer barrels give more velocity, especially in magnum cartridges, but some people are ok with giving up velocity for portability, especially if they plan on running a suppressor on it (which will add another 7"-10" to the end of the gun). Personally, I like a 26" barrel for all cartridges, other than short-action cartridges. And in some cases, I even prefer a 26" for certain short action cartridges to get the most out of it.

No need for internet searches. From remington:

"5-R rifling is the same type of rifling used on the battle proven M-24 SWS. There are 5 lands as opposed to the normal 6 land configuration. Traditional lands are squared off at a 90 degree angle to the groove while the lands on 5-R rifling are tapered at 110 degrees which results in less bullet deformation. Also, none of the lands are directly across from one another. Both of these features lead to better accuracy and less fouling."

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-stainless-threaded-gen-2

It's 100% marketing and it works. It's a mass produced Remington barrel. That said, many people have really good luck with them and I'm not bashing them. I keep looking at the 700 AWR with 5R rifling. I laughed to myself when the salesman at Sportsmans rattled off the military M-24 fake news.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.