Do I really need a 300 WM?

Mudrunner,

I appreciate your patience and great descriptive assistance when it comes to these topics.

Between my dad and I, we have three 30-06 rifles. And to be honest, we haven't hunted with them in years, nor really explored loading for them. We have been doing more western style hunting after mule deer with ranges up to 600-700 yards, so we end up using magnums, or we are hunting blacktail are closer ranges with a 7-08 or .243.

Reading through this thread makes me want to work on one or all of those 30-06 rifles, just to have other options.
I have found that reloading for the 30/06 has made it a very capable long range round. Components are readily available and its a little more efficient than magnums whith bullets of same weight and make has only two inches difference in wind drift than the .300 win. Mag. I think it really shines with 200gr. And heavier bullets, and its much cheaper to reload than the magnums (more rounds per pound). Muddrunner has me seriously thinking of Ackley improving mine but mine shoots so well that I think I'm going to buy a used rifle and rebarrel it with a 26 or 28in where I think the Ackley would benefit from the extra lenght....

+1! For what it's worth ...

lilja borescope - YouTube
good video Feenix, believe it or not but we ran a borescope thru my 5r TC Venture 30/06 and it was like a mirror, they claim match grade barrels and I would say they are very close, also I was going to have it blueprinted and the smith couldn't improve on it. Its a three lug bolt and al three lugs had uniform contact at 90% or more just wish they had a better stock, also wish I could get the trigger below 3.5#..

good video Feenix, believe it or not but we ran a borescope thru my 5r TC Venture 30/06 and it was like a mirror, they claim match grade barrels and I would say they are very close, also I was going to have it blueprinted and the smith couldn't improve on it. Its a three lug bolt and al three lugs had uniform contact at 90% or more just wish they had a better stock, also wish I could get the trigger below 3.5#..

They are so underrated but darn good rifles. One of the few manufacturers that guarantees accuracy. I got 3 guys from my squadron hooked with them now. :D

Between the 3 of them, there are two .270 Win Venture, one .270 Win Icon, and two .300 Win Mag Venture.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.