Do I need a 20 moa base??

dakotakidd

Putting together a custom 6mm creedmoor. The reamer should be here Friday, so I am trying to get odds and ends like a scope base and rings ordered. I am wondering if I will need a 20 moa base or not. According to my ballistic chart a 103 grain eldx at 3050fps will drop 26.xx moa at 1000 yards (these numbers are a guess, not sure what my actual handloads will do). I'm pretty new to any 100 yard shooting, have done it a few times with a co-workers 6 br and 6.5x47 lapua but this will be my first true "target gun" and I would like to be able to hit the 1000 yard target at our range just for fun. The scope is a vortex hs-lr with 75 moa of total elevation adjustment according to the specs on midway.com.
Any help would be awesome, thanks.

75/2=37.5

37.5-26=11.5

Your 75 moa adjustments leaves you with a vertical allowance (from center) of 37.5 moa and takes you to the outer 11% edge of the glass. That means, assuming your primary set up allows you to start at the midpoint on the glass, you're outside of the "sweet" spot of the glass.

Short story - use the 20moa base.

Just a good rule-of-thumb, if it's from around 500-1,500 yards, regardless of cartridge, it's best to just go for a 20MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts