need help on 20 moa base and rings

I wanted to ADD weight to my current rifle project, and chose steel bases for that reason. I bought the Nightforce steel Base with the built-in recoil lug. They are made for Nightforce by Seekins. It is available in 20 MOA and zero MOA This base lists for $116.00 but is available cheaper.

While I agree that the screws are the weak link, I felt the steel recoil lug would help. I was surprised how perfectly snug the recoil lug fit the Rem. 700 receiver.

Last edited:
i once brought up on another forum and i was bssicly ostracized for think about aluminum,okay so back to original question.Aluminum base :aluminum rings?

If you want to use steel then use steel.
I like the Leupold steel base. I use it with 8-40 screws on my Lapua. But your budget puts you in several very good steel options.
Steel is a great idea on heavy recoiling rifles and heavy scopes. I do recommend 8-40 screw up grade though.
Using steel components on
6-40 screws might be a waste of time just because your screws could fail before any base problems would arise.

i once brought up on another forum and i was bssicly ostracized for think about aluminum,okay so back to original question.Aluminum base :aluminum rings?
That won't happen here man. We rib each other pretty good over here about certain things (i.e. the Facebook thread and 6.5CM vs .308 thread), but nobody's going to ostracize you for your choices or preferences.

The only aluminum rings I use are mk4 ones...they're great but expensive. Burris zee rings aren't very heavy for steel rings. You're only talking ounces in weight reduction, get what ur happy with

are they steel pr aluminum?Also nice pre 64 winchester in photo

They are aluminum...thanks but that is a VZ-24 Mauser action...the safety is fashioned after the the 64 win style.

I was at the range today shooting that rifle...got some nice compliments on it!

nice very nice my youngest son last year bought a winchester model 70 ss lightly used in 300 ultramag for 650$ and no matter what you run through the barrel, it never shoots over 3/4"@100yards so after my remington 700 classic in 300 Weatherby bolt handle snapped in 1/2 I decided to try the rum in 700 sps stainless it doesnt seem to be as picky on loads as my bee was.

Last edited:
wow the more I've looked the more Iam confused ,i thought i had some insight iam just shy of 50,been shooting over 36 years of it reloading over 10 years and the more I try to settle on bases the more iam confused .Maybe if I gave some more information I am mounting a Minox zx5ix25x56 on it which has elevation hash marks set at 200 out 800 yards calibrated for 300 mag with a 180 grain bullet at 2950 fps and the increments on the scope are in 1/8" so help?oh yeah I tried asking the same question on H@#$%ng.com and i got so much negative feedback I deleted my post

Last edited:
okay just a couple more questions Ian trying to research now and not make any mistakes if I can avoid it.So with a 20 moa base do I have to have my zero set@100 yards?,Also after reading I believe I will go Leoupold 7075t6 which is much harder than 6061 series less prone to deformation and hopefully I won't have to worry about sheared 6/40 screws as i dont want to open up the holes to 8/32 screws so next question is scope rings.Steel or aluminum?Some reasonably priced hope fully under 100.0$

With a 20moa you can set ur zero wherever you want.
Burris zee rings work well, I have them on my 300wby. They are steel but a good ring for the money

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.