Do I need a 20 MOA base?

Titaniumman

Hi all, this is my first post. I just purchased a Model 70 Winchester in 270 Win. I am putting a 4-16x50 scope on it. I am new to long range shooting but my idea of long range is maxing out in the 500-600 yard range. I just recently discovered the 20 moa scope bases but don't know if they are something I need in this case. Will a conventional base setup be sufficient? This is a hunting application, not strictly punching paper. What do you say?

You really wouldn't need a canted base unless your gonna push the limits of your chosen caliber.

That being said if you choose to dial the yardage vs. hold over or using your reticle for aiming you might find it nice to have the added moa adjustment it allows. If your not dialing there is really no need for one.

JwH@406

I am going to add turrets to my scope once I find a load the new rifle likes. This whole project is a step out of the box for me. Everything I've ever owned has had a good ol' 3-9 variable with a 200 yard zero.

Titanium man ,,,,,,

for your particular rifle/caliber/scope configuration, I think a 10MOA cant rail is more than enough ,,,,,,,

that way you won't run the risk of running out of scope adjustment to the upside ,,,,, depending upon which scope you end up choosing ,,,,

The scope is going to be a 4-16x50 Vortex Viper HS with the V-plex reticle. I'm going to put Kenton Ind. turrets on it after working up the load data.

Anyone have a recommendation for the appropriate base and rings?

I believe you could go with Burris signature rings with the offset inserts and put in what you need. I have never used them but some of my buddies said they work well. Maybe somebody with experience will post. Matt

That scope has 50 MOA of adjustment. Even if you sight it in and there is only 30 MOA left. You will still be able to shoot close to 1000yds. That is with sighting the gun in at 200yds. Also depending on what bullet you use. I just did some quick numbers with a 140 gr bullet leaving the gun at 2950 fps. And at 1000yds you would have 28.4 MOA of adjustment. gun)

That scope has 50 MOA of adjustment. Even if you sight it in and there is only 30 MOA left. You will still be able to shoot close to 1000yds. That is with sighting the gun in at 200yds. Also depending on what bullet you use. I just did some quick numbers with a 140 gr bullet leaving the gun at 2950 fps. And at 1000yds you would have 28.4 MOA of adjustment. gun)

So if I'm reading you right my scope in a conventional base/rings configuration will work out to 1000 yds (+/-)?

Even if you had 20 MOA left of adjustment you would still be able to shoot out to 800 yds. I know you had said 5-600 yds in your first post. So if you want to shoot out further you may want to look at doing a 10 or 20 MOA bases. If I was you I don't think I would go out and buy them if you already have level bases.

Yes.

Do you know the bullet that you will be shooting? Also the muzzle velocity?

My first choice is the Nosler Accubond 140 gr, but the Barnes 129 gr LRX is interesting. Either of these will be in the 3000 fps range (using 4831) but we'll have to see what the rifle likes.

I'd get the 20Moa base. Why not? It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Just do the math and get the lowest rings possible without the bell hitting the barrel.

The only downside to the 20moa base is at your zero you're looking through the southern portion of your optic, but out at 600 or 700yds (didn't do the math) you'd be looking through the center. That = win in my book.

I believe you could go with Burris signature rings with the offset inserts and put in what you need. I have never used them but some of my buddies said they work well. Maybe somebody with experience will post. Matt

The signature rings would probably work very well in this application. With the ***-align insert set you can offset with any combination of the 5, 10, or 20 offset inserts. It gives you more flexibility than an offset base would. As stated, that vortex probably has enough elevation adjustment, but if you want some extra flexibility I'd look into the burris signature rings.

I used them on a Zeiss Conquest with the rapid Z 1000. I needed about 20moa of adjustment and they worked perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts