need help on 20 moa base and rings

i went with a leupold 20 moa steel bases I'll drill and tap the reciever,to #8-40 threads so now what size rings to i go with if i have 30mm tube and 56mm objective?I dont want to order rings that sit my scope a mile above the bore bit at the same time I don' want to hit the rail or barrel.

Last edited:
i went with a leupold 20 moa steel o hues I'll drill and tap the reciever,to #8-40 threads so now what size rings to i go wi th if i have 30mm tube and 56mm objective?I dont want to order rings that sit my scope a mile above the bore bit at the same time I don' want to hit the rail or barrel.

depends on what rings u use. Everyone has their own measurement for low medium or high. Email whichever company you wish to purchase and ask.

I have a 50mm and have the vortex "low" rings. and there is not much room left. my avatar is the scope an rifle. you may have to run "med" rings. barrel shape may play a part in height as well.
you could take it to cabelas or your local gun guy and try a few???

FWIW; recently switched to a steel rail bedded to the receiver, breakable/removable blue locktite on the receiver screws, scope mounted in seekins rings, ring screws torqued to spec, no locktite. seems to work well for the magnum rifles they are setup on. continuity seemed important at the time; steel receiver gets steel rail; aircraft, space age aluminum scope tube gets the same type of aluminum rings. probably doesn't matter in the end, but that was the thinking behind the setup.

If the ring height is in question...... usually mail order the low and medium then setup each with the scope on the rifle (not fully torqueing ring screws) to see which fit better with cheek, stock and eye, then return the set I didn't use; careful not to damage packaging, rings and screws.

All my EGW rails wear Talley rings but I happen to know Bruce personally. Even if I didn't it would still be Talley Rings. Aligned and lapped in of course.

I'd get something with a recoil lug on it. I like seekins bases for this reason. Especially with the large calibers

FWIW; recently switched to a steel rail bedded to the receiver, breakable/removable blue locktite on the receiver screws, scope mounted in seekins rings, ring screws torqued to spec, no locktite. seems to work well for the magnum rifles they are setup on. continuity seemed important at the time; steel receiver gets steel rail; aircraft, space age aluminum scope tube gets the same type of aluminum rings. probably doesn't matter in the end, but that was the thinking behind the setup.

If the ring height is in question...... usually mail order the low and medium then setup each with the scope on the rifle (not fully torqueing ring screws) to see which fit better with cheek, stock and eye, then return the set I didn't use; careful not to damage packaging, rings and screws.

well iam pretty close to completing my small project, i settled on Leopuld mark4 steel base and Leupold quick release hi 30mm steel rings which are a little high and i may exchange for medium and i orders a #28 cobalt drill bit as well as a #8#40 tap so ican open up the #6holes for the larger screws and hopefully not shear them from recoil.Igot a lot of feed back about getting better stock .Ian on a pretty tight budget so i cleaned up my old Remington 700 classic stock from my 300 Weatherby and laid some urethane clear ,it is accuglassed and bedded in an aluminum pillar I fitted, so if the factory plastic stock on sps fails I'll try my old wooden one.Now if I can ever get my vehicle back from kids long enough, I'll hit the range .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.