Going to 1,000 - What do I REALLY Need?

my rifle was a 2 year project, slowly customizing it, next time, it will be all at once.

I hear ya. Next time I would like to be able to do it all at once, but then again, it will be harder to put all that cash down at once. I've been upgrading and customizing for what seems like forever, yet I still find more to do. There's really only one more thing that I wouldn't mind doing, which is a fluted bolt from PTG, but I'm going to squash that thought for quite a while:D.

It's definitely something that you need to consider

I use a Kestrel 3500 and it does everything I need, wind/temp/pressure/humidity

Another problem...will you have cell service every where you hunt? Odds are the answer is no. No cell service...no Shooter App service....you will need to imput EVERYTHING.

A tip for you. Set your weather station to give you TRUE STATION PRESSURE and set your Shooter app the same way. That way you don't need to worry about altitude....just imput temp. station PSI, humidity (if you are REALLY anal) and latitude if you are going to use the coriolis function.

Not sure if this will help you. You seem well sorted for equipment and need not worry to much about that I think. Here shooting is done to beyond 1000 without too much extras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another problem...will you have cell service every where you hunt? Odds are the answer is no. No cell service...no Shooter App service....you will need to imput EVERYTHING.

A tip for you. Set your weather station to give you TRUE STATION PRESSURE and set your Shooter app the same way. That way you don't need to worry about altitude....just imput temp. station PSI, humidity (if you are REALLY anal) and latitude if you are going to use the coriolis function.

LOL....Not ashamed to say that I DO put in humidity, and always use true station pressure

LOL....Not ashamed to say that I DO put in humidity, and always use true station pressure

Me too...kind of. I put in EVERYTHING right away in the morning. All of the imputs then stay loaded all day. I don't usually adjust the humidity during the day.

Same with latitude.....you would need to drive a hell of a long way for things to change enough to care about. I just pop in 49 and I am gtg!! As far as direction, I can guess to within, say 10 degrees...close enough, so i don't use a compass.

Thanks for all of the helpful tips everyone. You've definitely made me think about some things that I hadn't thought of. I certainly won't have cell phone service everywhere I hunt and the nearest weather stations aren't exactly near.

Roe - That was a great video. I enjoyed watching it and learned some very useful information. Impressive shooting toogun)!!

I done some scouting around the farm today looking for places I could set up some permanent targets for long range shooting and I think I've found a place that will get me to at least 750, possibly more (limited range finder). I have a lot of places I could shoot to 1,000 and beyond, but not year round. The corn gets in my way in 99% of the places I have:rolleyes:.

Again, I really appreciate all of the helpful advice from everyone. It's nice to know what you need and what works so you don't have to keep switching things around and making changes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.