Do I need to remount my scope?

Brydawg512

I just took the barreled action out of my Savage Accustock, leaving my scope and bubble level attached. I just reinstalled the action and set my rifle so the bubble level was centered. I taped my small level from Wheeler onto a popsicle stick and slid it underneath the scope and tried to hold it flat on my pic rail, and the bubble level on my scope and popsicle stick were about 1/16 to 1/8" difference, assuming because the popsicle stick is not dead straight/level.

Do you think I should remount my scope to ensure level?

Thanks in advance

I would give it a range session and if it holds like you expect...do nothing.

I'm REALLY new to this all... are we just talking about putting the crosshairs on the target, we hit where we pointed and we're good? Is 100 yards okay or should I extend the distance?

With sand bags...shoot dead on and I mean dead on at 25 yards....once you shoot basically a ragged hole with 3 shots dead nuts...move to 100. With sand bags.. Goal should be a 1" group at 100 I would think with 3 shots if it's a sporter.....maybe a 5 shot group with a bull barrel. Your rig and ammo may only be capable of 1.5 inches at 100. Outside of 1.5 inches I'd re-think the mount.

There are all kinds of potential issues here. The rail might not be level to the bore, the "glue" job not level to the stick-that's not level to the bore, the reticle might not be level in the scope...blah, blah, blah
Have you checked the reticle? Done a tall target test? What precision (groups) is your rifle/load producing? How far you wanting to shoot? You dialing the turrets or using a reticle?
I gotta admit that if someone brings me a normal hunting rifle & scope and cannot answer any of these type questions I will just zoom the magnification out and eyeball it down the center of the action. I can get really close like this. If it's a rifle that's intended for extended ranges I will check the scope before wasting time mounting it, then take care in mounting.

There are all kinds of potential issues here. The rail might not be level to the bore, the "glue" job not level to the stick-that's not level to the bore, the reticle might not be level in the scope...blah, blah, blah
Have you checked the reticle? Done a tall target test? What precision (groups) is your rifle/load producing? How far you wanting to shoot? You dialing the turrets or using a reticle?
I gotta admit that if someone brings me a normal hunting rifle & scope and cannot answer any of these type questions I will just zoom the magnification out and eyeball it down the center of the action. I can get really close like this. If it's a rifle that's intended for extended ranges I will check the scope before wasting time mounting it, then take care in mounting.

Yes, this was just a very rough test I tried to do. I've checked the reticle and it seems level to the bore as far as I can tell. No tall target test yet. Nothing special as of now, factory ammo until I can do some load development - so, right around 1-1.5". I'd like to shoot out to 1,000, but hunting only out to about 600 yards. I also dial turrets. I haven't had much time with the gun, only about 30 rounds through it so far.

I have a rifle/load that shoots 3/4" @ 100, thing is that it carries that out to what I consider it's max effective range of 800 yards. I would definitely check the scope's adjustments, and then shoot it at distance to see how the ammo performs. 100 yard groups are just a start point for me to see potential, you gotta stretch that dude out to see if it holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.