Ordering a custom barrel, what do I need to know?

I tried McGowen. First barrel was horrible, they sent me a new one. Second barrel was just as bad. At that point they informed me they had a bad batch of steel, apparently both my barrels came from it. I gave up at that point and they did refund me with no questions. Wasted a lot of time on the whole process though.

So, can I assume you are liking your McGowen barrels? There is a large appeal to just ordering a prefit barrel from them that's been reamed and everything and just install it. I'm not building a "5 shots in one ragged hole" rifle, I'm building a lightweight hunting rifle that I want to shoot .5MOA groups (or better if it's so inclined). As nice as it would be to buy a Bartlin or a Benchmark, get all the proper work done and get it installed, I'm realistic and wonder if I need to spend that kind of money for the results i'm looking for.

Yeah. I feel like I'm getting a good barrel through McGowan. The last one I ordered cost me $270 since I took advantage of their black Friday sale.

My 7rm is a 26" #4 McGowan contour with a 2" brake and is fairly heavy.

The 6.5x284 is a 24" #2 McGowan contour without a brake and it seems perfect for my mountain rifle.

I tried McGowen. First barrel was horrible, they sent me a new one. Second barrel was just as bad. At that point they informed me they had a bad batch of steel, apparently both my barrels came from it. I gave up at that point and they did refund me with no questions. Wasted a lot of time on the whole process though.

Just out of curiosity, what made them bad?

I usually clean them and slap them on the action. I usually shoot some factory rounds through them to get them on paper and then make up a load. If I can get the velocity I want under .5 moa, I call it good. I usually clean it after the initial 50 rounds, and as needed after that. (When accuracy drops off)
I'm not the guy that expects my Barrel to never foul, and I don't even own a bore scope, so maybe I'm too easy to please.
If it shoots better than .5 moa I couldn't care less what the bore scope shows.

I went through the same thing with Mcgowen. However when i got 2 out of 3 barrels that were bad, and went over the top to prove it was the barrel they still wouldn't believe me. I think I only got a refund to stop me from bugging them.

I shipped the barrel to them twice then finally shipped the entire gun to them. All they did was shoot it, see the same issue, and blame the ammo. I spent my own money to have the ammo tested and verified it wasn't an ammo problem.... Then after months, lots of my money spent etc... they finally offered a refund for one of the barrels..... (oh and the gunsmith at Mcgowen even admired it was a barrel issue, but Dan the manager didn't want anything to do with it)

Everyone makes mistakes and I'm understanding, but the terrible customer service is why I would never buy a Mcgowen or recommend them to anyone. You might get a good one, you might not. Searching around on the internet Mcgowen barrels seem to have a lot of complaints and negative reviews....

In my opinion, I'd get the lighter Criterion contour. If it is a hunting gun, you don't need a heavy barrel profile to be accurate. You won't be shooting strings of shots at animals hopefully!

I went through the same thing with Mcgowen. However when i got 2 out of 3 barrels that were bad, and went over the top to prove it was the barrel they still wouldn't believe me. I think I only got a refund to stop me from bugging them.

I shipped the barrel to them twice then finally shipped the entire gun to them. All they did was shoot it, see the same issue, and blame the ammo. I spent my own money to have the ammo tested and verified it wasn't an ammo problem.... Then after months, lots of my money spent etc... they finally offered a refund for one of the barrels..... (oh and the gunsmith at Mcgowen even admired it was a barrel issue, but Dan the manager didn't want anything to do with it)

Everyone makes mistakes and I'm understanding, but the terrible customer service is why I would never buy a Mcgowen or recommend them to anyone. You might get a good one, you might not. Searching around on the internet Mcgowen barrels seem to have a lot of complaints and negative reviews....

In my opinion, I'd get the lighter Criterion contour. If it is a hunting gun, you don't need a heavy barrel profile to be accurate. You won't be shooting strings of shots at animals hopefully!
Yeah, criterion said they have great luck with their smaller profile barrels shooting well. My brain is telling me to get a thicker barrel but I might just buy criterion

I can't discount the experience of others, but I have four Mcgowen remage barrels and they have been supreme. They are as accurate as anything else I have including bartlein, Krieger, and Shilen.

have you looked at Sothern Precision Rifle. they offer two types of prefits regular remage barrel or their bug nut system which will allow you to use any of the barrels they sell. the bug nut is a little more money but looks like a much better system. my next barrel will be the bug nut system

I have had very good luck with McGowan and criterion prefits, mine have all been on savage action though. I am also trying southern precision rifle this time. I wanted to try a bartlein barrel. He has been very good to deal with too.

Had a very similar experience with a return McGowan barrel. Even when it was said and done, this 300WSM was not setting any records. To me if a barrel won't shoot the bullets I want at less than 1 MOA its too Picky for me.

After 35 years of reloading I can say I can do better with a factory rifle in most cases.

Also Pac-Nor makes remage barrels. They don't advertise it very well on their website, but they have a really slick nice looking barrel nut as well.

Jccustom barrels makes cut rifled savage prefits.
The benchrest crowd near me love them.
Only downside is I'm not sure what it's like to get a Canadian barrel down to the states

Jccustom barrels makes cut rifled savage prefits.
The benchrest crowd near me love them.
Only downside is I'm not sure what it's like to get a Canadian barrel down to the states
I might take a look at them if I build another Savage, I can't imagine it would hard to get a part like a barrel in but I might be very wrong on that too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.