how long do I need to let a barrel cool in between shots for a

DSMITH1651

I want to sight my rifle in for the first cold barrel shot how long should I let it cool between shots at the range
Thanks
Duane

Shoot one shot and 'feel' the bbl temp.

Shoot a second shot within say 30 seconds.

Check the the temp again. Note the difference.

Do your sight in spacing the shots.

After you are zero'd wait to when the bbl cools to what it felt like after the first cold bbl shot you should be good to go.

The sad part is that it will take longer than you would like.:rolleyes:

Then one shot a day for a couple of days and you should be good to go . . . or . . . not.:)

Shoot one shot and 'feel' the bbl temp.

Shoot a second shot within say 30 seconds.

Check the the temp again. Note the difference.

Do your sight in spacing the shots.

After you are zero'd wait to when the bbl cools to what it felt like after the first cold bbl shot you should be good to go.

The sad part is that it will take longer than you would like.:rolleyes:

Then one shot a day for a couple of days and you should be good to go . . . or . . . not.:)

great advice, I go 10 min on cold bore engagements

I have to agree with these fellas 10 min seems to get it. If it's pretty chilly outside you might get by with 5 min or so. Bring a .22 or something to plink with between coldbore shots with your big rifle.

I hate sitting around when I could be shooting. I use a battery powdered fan blowing on my barrel and sometime take a cooler with some ice water and dip a wash cloth in it and wipe my barrel down. Cools pretty quick that way. Keep me cool also. lightbulb:)

It depends on your individual tube. All but one of my guns wear custom tubes...both hunting and compitition. Shot one (presuming a fouled bore) hits the same place as shot 10. I have done the wait xx min between shots and see ZERO differance.....those are minutes of my life that I will never get back. I am lucky that the one factory tube that I am running has no precevable stress....it does not string when it gets hot.

Now, if you have a tube that walks the shots in a certian AND REPEATABLE direction, you will need to wait....anywhere from 10 to 30 min depending on conditions.

My question...if you (not you spacificly.....you as in anybody with this problem) have a tube that walks it's shots...well...why do you still have that tube??? This is LR hunting, and a tube that walks it's shots has no place here. UNLESS...you NEVER miss that 1st shot at XXXX yards. :D

Just my .02,
Tod

for max barrel life how long would you wait between shots on say a rifle like a 338 lm or cheytac based case ?

I typically just sight in like normal. Pretty much everything I shoot will shoot in the same spot from the 1st round to the 5th round. No difference.

But I like go out 5 days in a row and shoot one round at 300 yards. I use the same Shoot-N-C target, for all five shots to see where I am at.

But I like go out 5 days in a row and shoot one round at 300 yards. I use the same Shoot-N-C target, for all five shots to see where I am at.

That right there is where you will see the difference....environmental changes. I actually like to try and guess what the change will be based on what my weather station and Shooter app tells me. BUT.....I zero all of my rifles at 300, not 100 yards, so the difference will be greater. My 100 yard zeros don't usually change that much.

That right there is where you will see the difference....environmental changes. I actually like to try and guess what the change will be based on what my weather station and Shooter app tells me. BUT.....I zero all of my rifles at 300, not 100 yards, so the difference will be greater. My 100 yard zeros don't usually change that much.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.