I know, I know

FLhunter620

I know you guys probably don't want to hear another conversation about this topic, but I have to ask. I've been looking over the forums for the last few weeks trying to decide what caliber to go with. So m any people have so many opinions and I'm having trouble deciding. I want a caliber that is fully capable of 1000 yard target shooting and maybe some hogs or coyotes that far and once I practice alot maybe whitetails. I plan on buying a stock gun and slowly customizing as money will allow. I also would like a caliber that isn't going to break the bank shooting alot. Any input will help, thanks in advance.

I'm doing the same thing as you are right now and just bought a gently used rifle to start playing with.

After lots of research, a general trend became apparent to me that wasn't as obvious as I thought it would have been in the beginning. That trend is that .....the bigger you go in caliber, the more expensive it is to get into it, and the more expensive it is to continue shooting it.

Simple example....I bought a 7mm Rem Mag for $325 gently used. I can buy all the reloading components for 7mm for less than $175 and start loading. That number will get me a minimum of 100 practice/hunting rounds loaded decently well-----not as good as some of these master reloaders here, but pretty decent reloads.

So......without optics, which will equally apply to ANY rifle and caliber chosen....I can be on the range with my choice of rifle and caliber for around 500 bucks.

Do the same comparison on something like a 338 RUM and see what happens. :D

The rifle alone will cost you more than what I have in my rifle AND reloading components. Of course I already own a press, scale, priming tool, etc, etc...

But the point is.....the bigger you go, the more expensive it is to play this game.

7mmRM/WSM/SAUM, 300WSM/SAUM/ Win Mag, 284Win., 270WSM

My pic would be the 270WSM, 300Win, 7SAUM. If you want bullets you buy off any shelf in America and use it long range... then 300Win. If your reloading and want to order specialized bullets, 270WSM, or 7SAUM w/ 168 or 180's.

Tank

I'm with tank in this order.

270 WSM just cause I addicted to 277, then 7mm WSM, don't know if there's such as thing as 6.5 WSM then go harvest stuff...

Well for me I'm going to rebuild my .340wby!! It's the largest gun I have & cost more than avg to shoot compared to all my others. Getting 3000fps with 225gr AB .550bc is great for me out to 500-600yds now :D I'm doing like you a little at a time.

I know you guys probably don't want to hear another conversation about this topic, but I have to ask. I've been looking over the forums for the last few weeks trying to decide what caliber to go with. So m any people have so many opinions and I'm having trouble deciding. I want a caliber that is fully capable of 1000 yard target shooting and maybe some hogs or coyotes that far and once I practice alot maybe whitetails. I plan on buying a stock gun and slowly customizing as money will allow. I also would like a caliber that isn't going to break the bank shooting alot. Any input will help, thanks in advance.
.300 RUM. Without the long range hog shooting I'd say 7mm STW, or 7mm RUM, but if you want something capable of reliably giving you one shot kills on big hogs at that range you need to go at least with the .300 RUM.

We've killed a number of large boars that had a half dozen or more bullets stuck in their shields that had never penetrated from .223's, .243's, buck shot, bird shot, even flat based 30 cals suggesting they were from most likely a .30-30.

Even with the .300 RUM you'd probably want to go with the .200-230gr bullets for large hogs beyond 600yds.

I would start off with the 300 win mag or WSM. Reasonable recoil, good accuracy and enough energy at long range to do some damage.
I started with a 300 win mag and learned a lot shooting several hundred rounds a year. I still use it for elk hunting. I have loaned it to family members and they have killed as many animals as I have with it. My dad shot an antelope with it a couple years ago at a little over 400 yards. He was amazed how easy it was.
Get some good equipment that is accurate. Accuracy is the ticket, if it's not accurate you won't learn much. A good scope that tracks well doesn't need to cost a fortune, check out a Vortex or Sightron. I personally like Savage rifles for the out of the box accuracy but there are others that shoot good too.
Good shooting.

.300 RUM. Without the long range hog shooting I'd say 7mm STW, or 7mm RUM, but if you want something capable of reliably giving you one shot kills on big hogs at that range you need to go at least with the .300 RUM.
I'm going to have to disagree this once. He wants a target/coyote, hog gun with possible deer to 1000yds. Those sure are some barrel burners for what he is trying to accomplish. In this case I think the 300WM/WSM would be the best bet due to on shelf availability of ammo and barrel life. Both can burn a barrel, but not as quick as the RUM's and STW's. Now granted, if he said it would be a dedicated rifle for Elk/Mulie/Whitetail to 1K, then I would support your above statement. JMHO

Tank

Thanks for the input guys... I'm probably going to go with the 300 WM. Now I just have to decide on which rifle to go with. I've always loved remington, but mine are older models and from reading on here, it sounds like they have gone down some in accuracy. Is this true?

I refuse to buy remington anything. But its just a preference. I also want to recommend the .300wsm. Longer barrel life and a more efficent cartridge. I too had this exact conversation with many of the members on this forum. I agree with lil tank...

but dont tell anybody..:D

Thanks for the input guys... I'm probably going to go with the 300 WM. Now I just have to decide on which rifle to go with. I've always loved remington, but mine are older models and from reading on here, it sounds like they have gone down some in accuracy. Is this true?
FN has a tactical "style" model in 300 wsm that would make a good entry level rifle, certainly nothing wrong with with the 300 Winchester, I wouldn't put either of these head and shoulders above the other. I'd buy either in a rifle that met my needs.

Find a Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. If you hand load get some H-1000 and 210 Bergers and you are set. If you dont hand load the 300 Win Mag has a HUGE selection of factory ammo offerings that include some great bullets.

Jeff

Broz,

I really like the senderos, but if I am going to eventually add a new barrel, stock, trigger, etc. in time, is the sendero's action going to be superior to just the run of the mill remington action which I could get for much cheaper?

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.