I know, I know

Broz,

I really like the senderos, but if I am going to eventually add a new barrel, stock, trigger, etc. in time, is the sendero's action going to be superior to just the run of the mill remington action which I could get for much cheaper?

Lee
Usually they are. When you figure what it costs to get a standard 700 action and then have it trued your cost differential has more than been consumed.

Currently I own 2 Sendero actions, one in 300 Rum the other in .220 Swift and both are sub 3/4 MOA shooters with any factory ammo I've run through them.

Both shoot considerably better with the loads they really like.

I believe the actions are the same.
If you are planning on adding a barrel and the other components later check into the Savage rifles. You can buy a nice Savage 116 in 300 win mag that should shoot 3/4" or less out of the box from what I have seen.
When you get ready to start changing parts and pieces it will be much easier. Most of it can be done at home if you are reasonably handy. you could actually have a switch barrel rifle. I have one that has a 7mm rem mag barrel and 6.5x284 barrel. Unscrew the barrel and pull the bolt head and reinstall the other components making sure to use a headspace gauge and you are good to go. Takes less than an hour.
I am planning on buying a 338 Edge barrel for it soon. Pretty cool system, shoot everything from a 223 to a 338 with the same system. One scope and one high quality stock and you are set for everything from coastal brown bears to prairie dogs.

Thanks for all the help!

Ive been doing some thinking. I have an old (late 60's, early 70's) remington 700 in .270. It shoots good right now out to 200 or 300 yards (never tried it any further). Is there any .270 bullets out there with a BC high enough to kill coyotes, small hogs, deer (in FL our deer are 100-150lbs where I hunt) out to 800 or 1000 yards?

I shoot 270 with 130 SST's at 3100 fps and am good out to about 600-650 yards (no experience yet with game taken at this range, but I'd be fairly confident on our Canadian sized deer).

If you loaded up some 150 berger bullets to 2950 ftps (should be able to come close to that, depending on the rifle), you should be good to about 800. I think 1000 would be pushing the limit though for anything bigger than coyotes.

Since you have the 270 already, and if it's accurate enough to shoot at those distances, why not try it. You'll need some decent optics to get you there as well.

If you've never shot long distances before, you'll need to practice. Work your way up to 800 yards with the 270 and then move up to a larger caliber.

I think that the .300 or 7mm WM would do the trick. I have a .300WM, so I'm partial. I'd buy a Savage 110 or a Remington 700, and upgrade it slowly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.