How many 30 calibers do I really need?

Timnterra

I've had plans to build a new 300 PRC for a year or more now and I'm not sure what use it will have?

Right now I've got
1. A heavy 13lb tactical 308 shooting 168smk at 2815 and 175 smk at 2760 it's a fun gun to shoot all day and not get beat up or feel like you are burning a hole in the wallet.

2. A light weight 6.5lb carbon fiber barreled 300 wsm. That I haven't even shot yet but my plan is to shoot 208 eldm out of it. It's built on a Tikka so the OAL can be up to 3.3" the barrel is 22" I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 2800-2850 fps with the 208's.

3. A heavy 13lb 300 prc that is patterned after Chris Kyle's famous 338 Lapua. I built it because I thought it would be cool but I haven't shot it yet either.

4. A mid weight 9lb 300 win mag that is just an all around good hunting rifle. Shooting the 212 eldx at 2950.

I was planning to build a mid weight 300 prc for all around hunting needs to replace the 300 win mag. I've got a couple barrel options to choose from and I'm kinda stuck not knowing exactly what I want. I have a 26" sendero contour proof carbon 1-10" twist if I decided to go lighter weight. But the stock I have planned for it is an adjustable game warden and it weighs almost 3lbs. Seems like a waste to but a carbon barrel on a heavy stock. I also have a Bartlein sendero contour 1-8" twist 27" stainless barrel that I had originally intended to use. This would probably make a rifle in the 10lb range and im not sure if want that either.

My question Is really how much difference is there between a 300 PRC a 300 win mag and a 300 wsm? If I build a 300 PRC with the proof barrel I'll probably find a different stock that weighs about 2lbs and have a 7lb rifle but that's so close to the 300 wsm is there really a reason to do it? If I go with the heavier barrel and a 10lb rifle results then it will be close to the 300 win mag and what use would there be for that? Should I just sell the other rifles and build a 300 PRC that'll fill the roles of both?

IF everyone only bought what they needed, not just firearms, but in general, the world economy would collapse. We buy what we WANT! I don't want any moe 30 cal but there are a few other classics I do want. .25-06, .257, .264, .280, .45/70. I don't need them, I just want them!

What is your intended use? For me, I hunt nothing larger than Whitetail deer. I have come to the conclusion I have A lot more rifles than I need.
I seem to prefer light field guns for practical hunting carrying.

Ruger model 77 30-06 is the largest 30 caliber I own & to be honest she is a quite a bit more than I need. Then there is a CZ 557 308 that Dad passed down that has not done much for me as of yet. Last 30 caliber I own is a CZ 527 in 300 Black out that I have more interest in than the previous 2, though I have never Hunted with & possibly never will.

Been really kicking around dumping 80% or more, of my rifles for simplicity sake.

6MM ARC, 6.5 Grendel & perhaps a 6.5 Creedmoor would amply cover my needs. Just may be satisfied with the bolt action CZ527 in 6mm ARC alone to be honest.

Last edited:
What is your intended use? For me, I hunt nothing larder than Whitetail deer. I have come to the conclusion I have A lot more rifles than I need.
I seem to prefer light field guns for practical hunting carrying.

Ruger model 77 30-06 is the largest 30 caliber I own & to be honest she is a quite a bit more than I need. Then there is a CZ 557 308 that Dad passed down that has not done much for me as of yet. Last 30 caliber I own is a CZ 527 in 300 Black out that I have more interest in than the previous 2, though I have never Hunted with & possibly never will.

Been really kicking around dumping 80% or more, of my rifles for simplicity sake.

6MM ARC, 6.5 Grendel & perhaps a 6.5 Creedmoor would amply cover my needs. Just may be satisfied with the bolt action CZ527 in 6mm ARC alone to be honest.

Everytime I get anxiety about having too many and getting rid of them, I go stroke one and then get anxiety about getting rid of it...