Anybody have a rifle malfunction that made them say what!

Don't load a 300 Blackout in a 223/5.56 gun
It will chamber and Fire and
Explode
.308 will not go down .223 barrel
When you shoot subsonic and don't see a hole in the target
CHECK the barrel
The next shot was a disaster
The 6x45 blew the gas block and barrel
If you shoot a revolver and have a hang fire during the speed Plate Match
Stop shooting
The hang fire went off down the side of the barrel could have been worse if it was lined up with frame
Be SAFE and Think when having Fun my Friends

Don't load a 300 Blackout in a 223/5.56 gun
It will chamber and Fire and
Explode
.308 will not go down .223 barrel
When you shoot subsonic and don't see a hole in the target
CHECK the barrel
The next shot was a disaster
The 6x45 blew the gas block and barrel
If you shoot a revolver and have a hang fire during the speed Plate Match
Stop shooting
The hang fire went off down the side of the barrel could have been worse if it was lined up with frame
Be SAFE and Think when having Fun my Friends
Found this video on youtube last year, and this post reminded me of it...

Did a .308 in a 7.5x55 Swiss. Shrapnel from the blown out primer came out of the back of the bolt. Casing got stuck and had to be tapped out.

This is 'so obvious' these days, which is why I share it because it happened 36 years ago (yes, before Al Gore invented internet ;) )

I had a Ruger 10/22 that would stove pipe jam on me far too often. I took it to a gunsmith in Olympia, WA, (don't think he really deserved that title in retrospect.) He couldn't find anything wrong, but felt there was a bit of 'proud wood' near the ejection port that MIGHT be the issue so he removed that and touched up the stock. It did LOOK better, but the problem remained. Fast forward eight years and the problem is still with me and I'm just 'done' with it. I took it to Charley Robertson at Score High Gunsmithing (Albuquerque, NM) and he figured it out in, oh, about half a second. Needed a new extractor.

Nowadays you can buy all the 10-22 parts you want online, at midnight, in your underwear. You can google 'stovepipe jam' for 10/22 and get beaucoup hits from youtube videos to forum discussion and more. "Strangers" will help you figure out the problem AND fix the problem. It's so much easier. The good old days weren't ALL good.

I'm going to send props to Charley Robertson (Score High Gunsmith) here. The man has done quite a bit of gunsmithing work for me over the years and he is the real deal. Meticulous. Detail oriented. Honest. High quality work EVERY TIME. I totally trust his judgement. It's like finding that great mechanic for your car! You finally know the job will get done right, at a fair price, and be on time and on budget. I have no idea how much longer he'll keep 'smithing, but if you are in the area, he's the man to see, especially for rifle work (which I think is all he wants to do these days, really.)

Old saying: There are only two types of people, those that have and those that will.

Spent the work day at the range preparing for a match the next day, discovered no ammo loaded upon arrival at the house. it is well after dark, I am tired and in a rush. I prep 100 pieces of 7tcu brass and reach up on the shelf, get the powder, run the powder throw, scale combo to throw 15grmof R#7 And start loading 168gr RCBS silhouette bullets for the XP 100. Get to range next morning, set up the range and go to the sight in line, first target, boom, target is still standing, smoke pouring out of the back of the bolt. The bolt handle is frozen in place, what was that....

At the time I did not have a floor mounted barrel vice so took the Sinclair built gun to my buddy's shop. We had to pull the barrel out, then turn the remainder of the case out of the bolt face, drill the ejector and spring out (they were welded together), and replace the extractor. Checked for out of spec expansion, all was good, so put her back together. I could not figure out what happened. But decided to pull all 99 rounds down, creating a small pile of powder after about 10 rounds. So sitting in my chair I just reached up and picked up the powder can and sat it on the bench in front of me, there it was, AA#7 not R#7. Checked shape and color, sure enough, I had switched them.

If you shoot cast and use Reloader #7 and reload small capacity pistol cartridges like the 9mm with AA #7 do not put the two powder cans on the same shelf and never ever next to each other. This may create the infamous #7 disaster. I was just very lucky that the 7tcu was a small capacity case in a stout Remington bolt action.
Ed

Yep, a fellow wrote in to another forum and could not figure out what happened to his 94 Win, it came apart like a 2 bit watch. When he said #7 and cast I knew instantly what took his pre war family treasure....
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.