I have a friend that wants a new 300 wm rifle

I won't mess up this poor guys thread anymore and publicly embarrass you by how wrong you are but I'll PM you!!

That's disappointing, I signed back into read this thread because I knew it was gonna get interesting. Lol
In Defense of the milspec myself and a buddy have one and they do shoot very well regardless of being a reject barrel lol.

I believe the gen 1 has a 26" barrel for 300wm the gen2 has a 24" with muzzle thread.

For myself I would go Gen 2 get the cerakoted barrel and action and install a brake forgoing my extra fps...if u like the stock on it.

No need for internet searches. From remington:

"5-R rifling is the same type of rifling used on the battle proven M-24 SWS. There are 5 lands as opposed to the normal 6 land configuration. Traditional lands are squared off at a 90 degree angle to the groove while the lands on 5-R rifling are tapered at 110 degrees which results in less bullet deformation. Also, none of the lands are directly across from one another. Both of these features lead to better accuracy and less fouling."

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-stainless-threaded-gen-2

It's 100% marketing and it works. It's a mass produced Remington barrel. That said, many people have really good luck with them and I'm not bashing them. I keep looking at the 700 AWR with 5R rifling. I laughed to myself when the salesman at Sportsmans rattled off the military M-24 fake news.
Yes, it's the same "style", because they actually are built using the M24 tooling. Remington builds the M24 barrels in-house...On the same machines.

The reason they use the term "same type" referring to 5R rifling, is because Remington didn't develop the 5R rifling and the 1:11.25" twist for .308 Win. Boots Obermeyer did. He just allowed Remington to use the rifling design and twist rate for their M24 .308 Win rifle barrels, which have proven through the decades, how accurate and reliable that combination can be.

I rebarreled 5r's that are new at the same rate as Senderos, factory barrels are what they are, I run a standard test load and if it's sub inch it'll shoot if it shoots 3 inches it's scrap iron!!

Do you recall the teat load for the 300 win? Just curious

So you really don't have a source.
That's cool.

2002 would be the correct year.
It's in my last post.

They still call some of them "Limited Editions" which seems to imply they don't just make as many as they want.
(Unless it's purely marketing hype, which is what I think it is.).

I'll take your advice about not believing unsourced internet rumors though.
Go for it. Makes no difference to me. Call Remington and ask them for yourself. :cool:

The source seems to be credible, and says they don't know if they still use m-24 rejects.

And what is your source for that?

On that we can agree.
That's why I gave a source for my information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_700
The source seems to be credible, and says they don't know if they still use m-24 rejects.

And what is your source for that?

On that we can agree.
That's why I gave a source for my information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_700

I really do not understand what's the big deal. I thought the article caveat it and addressed it well.

Back to the original question. Has he looked into an x-bolt? There are several variations that would work for him in the $800-1100 range. All have muzzle brake already installed, 10" twist, and decent mag length (3.55ish).

All they need is a trigger spring ($15) and they'll shoot great.

I actually have a long range stalker with a 26 inch barrel but the trigger is a little heavy. Do you have spring demisions? I can't find anyone that will touch that trigger, other than a total replacement from jard

I looked into the xbolt long range just haven't seen it recommended much how do they shoot also how is the aftermarket support also he was looking at the christensen arms Mesa long range I told him it might be a little heavy thoughts on it as well

Well........it seems to me that when all the bla, bla, bla, bla is over and done, it should be fairly simple. It shoots to the owners expectations and desires or it does not.

I figure to have an answer to that soon. And my expectations are lower them I gather most on this forum require. If the **** rings ever get here, I'll put my general mass production Remington 85197 to the test.

For me, I don't care about what they produced 20 or 12 or 8 years ago, or for that matter what they produce next week. All that matters to me is that my Model 700 meets my wants and needs.

(I should disclose that I have never been a Remington "Fan'Boy", but I'll give it a fair test).

Last edited:
Go for it. Makes no difference to me. Call Remington and ask them for yourself. :cool:
They would tell me they don't make the M-24 anymore.
They were replaced with something better.

He just allowed Remington to use the rifling design and twist rate for their M24 .308 Win rifle barrels, which have proven through the decades, how accurate and reliable that combination can be.
They really aren't more accurate than most of their other rifles.

The specs call for "less than 1 MOA" and that's pretty much the industry standard for decent rifles now.

"Mil-Spec" just sounds cool and helps them sell rifles, sort of like the "Tactical Bolt Handle" ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.