I have a friend that wants a new 300 wm rifle

MontanaOutdoorsman406

I have a friend that asked my opinion for a new 300wm rifle that is under 1000 dollars he wants is 26 inch barrel and 1-10 twist and I pointed out savage but it doesn't have the barrel length he wants and doesn't like how sloppy the action is. I know the Remington 700 long range ticks the box's and stays in budget but I know there quality is down and don't know if I can recommend it any other ideas or has Remington's quality improved at all thanks for the responses

Best factory .300WM on the market... Will require a trigger swap to a Timney trigger, as the factory X-Mark triggers suck. Other than that, re-torque action screws to 65 inch-pounds, and go shoot. Bedding the action and making sure the barrel is free-floating won't hurt either. But those can both be done fairly cheap.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/Remington+Firearms+85505+700+5-R+Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H

The 5R Milspec models use the same 416R stainless 5R rifled barrels as the M24 sniper rifles. The only difference is, the contour has been turned down to the Remington Varmint/Sendero contour, instead of the larger M24 contour. I have 2 of them (.308 Win & .300WM), the .308 Win will shoot under 1/4 MOA with handloads.

Be sure to get a good 20MOA 1-piece rail and some good high-quality rings. I use EGW HD 20MOA bases on all my rifles, and Seekins Precision rings.

The 5R Milspec models use the same 416R stainless 5R rifled barrels as the M24 sniper rifles.
Did you know those are "reject" barrels that aren't good enough to be M-24's?

They started the selling 5r's to keep from having to take a loss from tossing out those barrels.

http://www.snipercentral.com/remington-700-milspec-5r/
The milspec rifles have an interesting history about them that does make them unique. Whether unique is good or bad will depend on each person's perspective in this case. The single big thing that makes the milspec unique, and consequently gives it the milspec name, is the barrel. The way the milspec came about, as told to me by a Remington LE division employee, was a byproduct of the M24 production line. There are specific tolerances that each M24 Barrel must achieve in order to pass inspection. As is normal in any production line some of the barrels will not meet those specifications and Remington would toss those barrels into the "no-go" pile and discard them (I am not sure where they used to go from there). It turns out that someone had the idea of taking those barrels that did not pass inspection and re-contour the barrel to the standard Remington heavy barrel contour, mount it to a Remington 700 stainless action, and call it a "Milspec" rifle.

Since there are not a large number of barrels that do not pass inspection the rifle were considered a limited edition rifle.

Browning Hells Canyon Long Range would be high on my list. Sportsmans has them at $1080. $75 mail-in rebate.

Good weight at 7.2LBS
Comes with muzzle brake & thread cap
Triggers aren't too bad

I had a Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor. Very nice gun for $1000. Shot amazingly well. I was getting under 3/4" MOA. Sold it... New Owner is reporting he's getting 1/2" MOA. I'm going to have to buy another one.

I have a friend that asked my opinion for a new 300wm rifle that is under 1000 dollars he wants is 26 inch barrel and 1-10 twist and I pointed out savage but it doesn't have the barrel length he wants and doesn't like how sloppy the action is. I know the Remington 700 long range ticks the box's and stays in budget but I know there quality is down and don't know if I can recommend it any other ideas or has Remington's quality improved at all thanks for the responses

Not sure what model your friend is looking for but Cabelas has the Savage 110T-SR for $549.99 after reabate (it is currently backordered - http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-T-SR-CENTERFIRE-RIFLE/2464333.uts?slotId=12) it has 1:10" 26" barrel, 5R rifling, and is muzzle brake/suppressor ready. If he want s shooter out of the box and best DIY friendly for future projects, at that price it is hard to beat.

IMO the Remington Long Range can't be beat for the money. We picked up several of them earlier this fall and sold them all but one that ww has bedded, insalled jewel, and installed pain killer brake. All of these rifles shot well under moa and the one we modified is as close to a full custom as you can get at $2000 including glass.

Heck the stock and action are worth more than what they sell for complete.

Steve

IMO the Remington Long Range can't be beat for the money. We picked up several of them earlier this fall and sold them all but one that ww has bedded, insalled jewel, and installed pain killer brake. All of these rifles shot well under moa and the one we modified is as close to a full custom as you can get at $2000 including glass.

Heck the stock and action are worth more than what they sell for complete.

Steve

I've seen similar experiences with a M700 Long Range in 7mm Mag. Bedded the recoil lug area, installed a Timney, and added a fat bastard muzzle brake.

A used Sendero might come in around $1,000. May come with some upgrades like a trigger and brake.

Yep. It is not light but not too heavy to carry. Gotta have some weight for effective shooting at distance.

My friend gor one from us in 30-06 and took a great muley at 528y last month.

Steve

I have a Long Range model in 300wm. If I had it to do all over again, I'd opt instead for the 5r Milspec. I prefer the HS stock over the B&C, and the finish on the action is better IMO. To me, it feels more smooth/slick than the finish on the 700LR. Plus, you get stainless (even though they now have a stainless LR version).

For function, the 700LR is fine. Out of the box it shot 1.5-2" groups, which is not fine. With handloads and a Timney trigger, however, I've got it down to about .7moa currently and still a lot of tinkering left to get it under .5 which is where I'd prefer it be.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.