I’m always busy at the wrong time…for SCIENCE!!!😡🤣. Anyone ever shoot at these temps and get chrono numbers?

The problem that presents itself to you warm weather Southerners is.......you don't just throw an extension cord in under the hood...you have to plug in the block heater cord to it!🤣
At -65 even the insulated battery was dead.... all equipment that had hydraulic fluid froze, whe had to heat it up with torches...flush sysmtems out....I know what to do in extreme weather....good Lord gave me enough sense to stay out of it....😂

Once again I find myself wishing I was free today to do some ballistic testing and subject myself to some cold weather. But as luck would have it, I've already got plans and cannot. I'm sure you all relate at some point or other. But i actually really wish I could go shooting in the name of science today. It would be a useful day to gather real world chrono data on extreme cold weather velocity affects. More often than not on the crazy hot days it doesn't work out either, but where I live has got to have some of the most extreme seasonal temperature spreads anywhere. Anyone ever actually get the chance to shoot and get data in weather like this? Especially interested to test the enduron powders sometime if we get another day this cold in the new year and I'm free.

We hit -42 celcius without factored in today, which isn't so rare around here, but and in June or July of this year it broke +40 celcius which I've never seen in my entire life. No thank you! I'll take the cold over the heat any day, can't stand heat like that, don't know how you folks from places like Arizona tolerate it but I suppose people adapt. BUT…I really wish I could have gone shooting today and on one of those horrible days in June. It would have been over 80 degrees C of variation and should have been enlightening. Anyone ever shoot such extremes and get data?
I'm waiting on you Calvin....you first!! Then I will try to confirm your findings for you Brother!😉

Hello no. I was trying to zero a new scope on a 22.250 the other day at -2F. I was shaking, stinging DB's, fighting the cold too much and stopped as I was just wasting ammo. Tried to get a Chrono reading and my 9V battery was too cold would not turn on. I was furious it was dead and I didn't bring a spare. Set it in shop +40F and went to change it a couple hours later and it turned on. Lesson learned!!

My thoughts on this subject, now that I'm thinking ( and that's a new experience for me).....I have hunted for years in our cold and a single round fired at -30+ to get game is one thing...and if fire cracking my barrel happens on a 6 pt. Bull Elk...I'm good with that....well okay...not good...but acceptable...but I really don't want to find out how well my gun is going to hold up...stocks included, scope etc to take it from -40 to super heated in .0004 secs. In -40 it's mostly road hunting and my gun is warm and so am I. Just me!

My thoughts on this subject, now that I'm thinking ( and that's a new experience for me).....I have hunted for years in our cold and a single round fired at -30+ to get game is one thing...and if fire cracking my barrel happens on a 6 pt. Bull Elk...I'm good with that....well okay...not good...but acceptable...but I really don't want to find out how well my gun is going to hold up...stocks included, scope etc to take it from -40 to super heated in .0004 secs. In -40 it's mostly road hunting and my gun is warm and so am I. Just me!
See…I'm good with the truck hunting and staying warm in those temps. My dilemma is…who is gonna go get my animal after I shoot it and I refuse to get out of the truck.

Hello no. I was trying to zero a new scope on a 22.250 the other day at -2F. I was shaking, stinging DB's, fighting the cold too much and stopped as I was just wasting ammo. Tried to get a Chrono reading and my 9V battery was too cold would not turn on. I was furious it was dead and I didn't bring a spare. Set it in shop +40F and went to change it a couple hours later and it turned on. Lesson learned!!
Yes whether a chronograph or a vehicle, in weather like this it's all about the battery. As @asd9055 experienced, even if you plug it in if the battery isn't at full charge and in relatively new condition it's touch and go.

You get good at working in the cold. Tarping vehicles with tiger torches under them, Heaters installed on every part that has fluid, never shutting things off.. working like that is how I came up with my highway 16 rule- I don't work north of that. Snowmexican's like me can understand that rule. Thats about 400km north of the border, there is a line somewhere in there with about 3 more months of winter.

I have never chrono'd below -15c and I don't think I saved that data, really should have. I have shot a couple deer and one moose in the -30's. Never have to worry about meat spoilage, but you work fast in that temp!

You need one plan....plug your vehicles in so the block heaters are working daily....that is if you want to go somewhere!
Block heater my butt... battery blankets, oil pan heater, transmission pan heater, in-tank fuel warmer, all wired to an auto eject plug so you don't tear the cord off. 60% coolant mix, 0W40 oil, an 80 gallon aux tank so you never have to shut down, OptiLube or Lucas winter added by the gallon.

The only time I've ever waxed my fuel filters was in Chicago. Fuel was locally bought and treated but the water content was slightly higher than advertised 🤬 Pretty sure it was high-bio also, looked like a high volume station but you can get burned anywhere with anything I guess. I now run a lift pump and pair of CAT filters between my aux and main tanks, one more water separator in the system can't hurt.