I’m always busy at the wrong time…for SCIENCE!!!😡🤣. Anyone ever shoot at these temps and get chrono numbers?

Did some data testing truing BCs on a 375 Snipetac last winter at -22 degrees fahrenheit in which was a -4418 DA perfect conditions for checking BCs in air thick as sludge we hit transonic to subsonic at 2418 yards with less wind effects versus 3800 yards in normal condition. Speeds were still easy to pickup on the Lab as well.

Could go into details but the word is we have to many rocket scientist lately.

Osoh

I froze just looking at the temps you posted 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah It's hot down here in AZ, but look at it this way, if we go to hell, well, we'll be fine, we'll manage. If we go to heaven, then it will feel like heaven, unless it -42°Celsius LOL

I'm curious what results you'll get shooting at those temps.

@Calvin45 and @skipglo , what lubricant do you use so the bolt doesn't freeze up on you at those temps? Just curious. Down here any lubricant turns to liquid LOL.
Can't speak for these guys, but I run my bolts dry. At these temperatures the guns will lock up. Firing pins won't move. It's brutally cold. I've only ever done load development in -30C temps. Shoot a few rounds, then go inside reload a few and warm up. I find it's to much hassle. Basically got to take the gun apart after you bring inside to the warmth. Sweating doesn't describe it. Guns are dripping wet after coming in from that cold. Was almost bored enough here in southern Manitoba today to go shoot, but changed my mind. Was only -22C here today. Low of -30 tonight. Time to go hunt Louisiana I think!

I have never hunted in those extreme low temperatures but would dry graphite work for the bolt?

I imagine it would. But I feel safer being totally dry. I also find it interesting when guys debate the small rifle primer. Never had a miss fire with my 6.5x47's on whitetail at -30 to -35C with CCI 450's. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Yeah I don't use any lubricants of any kind on my savage bolt guns. They don't need it. Being "sloppy" isn't always a bad thing haha.

As for primers, I have actually started using magnum primers for cold weather but the only hangfire I had with standard primers in the cold was with a very compressed charge of a ball powder that was inappropriately slow burning for the cartridge.

Last edited:
Can't speak for these guys, but I run my bolts dry. At these temperatures the guns will lock up. Firing pins won't move. It's brutally cold. I've only ever done load development in -30C temps. Shoot a few rounds, then go inside reload a few and warm up. I find it's to much hassle. Basically got to take the gun apart after you bring inside to the warmth. Sweating doesn't describe it. Guns are dripping wet after coming in from that cold. Was almost bored enough here in southern Manitoba today to go shoot, but changed my mind. Was only -22C here today. Low of -30 tonight. Time to go hunt Louisiana I think!

Yeah I don't use any lubricants of any kind on my savage bolt guns. They don't need it. Being "sloppy" isn't always a bad thing haha.

As for primers, I have actually started using magnum primers for cold weather but the only hangfire I had in the cold was with a very compressed charge of a ball powder that was inappropriately slow burning for the cartridge.

Thanks gents

If you could get out to measure velocity in those temps it would be likely that the chrono wouldn't work. Some of the electrons would be frozen.

I cannot imagine sub zero temps and hunting. My black powder hunts anywhere near freezing were pretty much hangfires and about half speed.
The desert hunts in late fall works for me with center fire these days. I do hate Arizona desert summers and my a/c bills.

Recent Posts