how often "honestly" do most here shoot past 500 yards

I shoot about 1000-1500 centerfire rounds/year. My shooting for load development is done at 200 yards. Most of my long range practice is done at 500 yards at a range close to my house. I have limited access to 1000 yards, but it's not very convenient. I shoot 500-1000 yards a few weeks a year combined with my hunting out west. The 500 yard practice seems to pay off and enable fairly straight forward extrapolation with good success out to 1000 yards when I shoot and hunt out west.

Judging from the replies, apparently everybody but me is regularly shooting 800 yards or better. In addition, nearly everyone is from Montana, Wyoming, Texas, New Mexico, or Nebraska. For those that give their location, only CenterShot is from a midwestern state (I assume Tyler Kemp is from K.C. region since he makes the videos for G.A. Precision; and, I have no idea where Bozeangelas is - a reference to Bozeman, maybe?).

I have not made it past 700yds as of yet. My summer range (wich consists of a farm trail out in the sticks can take me to 800yds. But the 800yd mark is just off the road and I am not too comfortable with that. My winter range(s), which are harvested fields, I could get 1200yds in some of them. I have not played that game as ot yet though. I mostly hang out arounds the 350-600yd mark. Now that I am understanding this game alot more, I am going to start poking out there.

Judging from the replies, apparently everybody but me is regularly shooting 800 yards or better. In addition, nearly everyone is from Montana, Wyoming, Texas, New Mexico, or Nebraska. For those that give their location, only CenterShot is from a midwestern state (I assume Tyler Kemp is from K.C. region since he makes the videos for G.A. Precision; and, I have no idea where Bozeangelas is - a reference to Bozeman, maybe?).

Bozeangeles is Bozeman Mt. with a Southern Californian, Hollywood surfer type infestation problem.
kinda like liberal wolves actually. They're flooding out of Cali & ruining Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, & Utah with no end in site, & no way to keep them in check:rolleyes:

P.S. you forgot Oregon:D

Bozeangeles is Bozeman Mt. with a Southern Californian, Hollywood surfer type infestation problem.
kinda like liberal wolves actually. They're flooding out of Cali & ruining Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, & Utah with no end in site, & no way to keep them in check:rolleyes:

Are they just now getting there? They did that to Missoula and the bitteroot valley in the late 90s

Are they just now getting there? They did that to Missoula and the bitteroot valley in the late 90s
Are you kiddin me? No way, they've been taking over Oregon for YEARS. We are a border state.

My reference to forgetting Oregon was to natty. He named most all the places folks replied from, except Oregon.

Send them home before they do to your state what they did to Colorado.

Then pray for "the big one"... .gun)

The family ranch is about 40mins north of where I live. Pretty much free to do as I like (don't shoot the cows:rolleyes:). I have dedicated steel at 1060 & several smaller portable steel targets that I can set up at intermittent distance. I also have a silhouette that I plan to set up at 1760 but haven't gotten there yet.

In regards to the question posed... every time I guess... which isn't nearly as often as it should be.

Hey now, I'm stuck living here on the left coast, the land of fruits and nuts. What do you think that is like?? The only reason I haven't moved elsewhere is because my business and all my family are here, but it's driving me nuts the idiots we have living here and running our state. Lucky I do not live in any of the major cities, that would drive me away in a heart beat.
You guys only get a small taste of what it is really like. We are not all weirdos and super liberal here.

I now do ALL of my shooting at 750. Load development...plinking...practicing..everything. When the crops come off I can streach this to 1200. The only time I shoot closer is if I can't find my impacts on the berm at 750, or I need to conferm my zeros.

Hey Natty,
What part of Missouri are you from? I have problems finding a place to shoot over 350 without a pretty good drive. The club I belong to has a 500 meter range but it's 65 miles one way. I'm looking for a couple of spots that I can get to in a few minutes so I can get out farther at least a couple times a week. I figure 350 is better than nothing so that is what I shoot regularly. When I put that first shot on target past 500 yards I was hooked!

Bob

I shoot long range F-class about once a month in the non hunting season as a form of practice for long range hunting. I am not really a competitive shooter but at the end of the day your score is an indication of your skill and equipment at a fixed distance and from a perfectly comfortable position.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.