How often do you check your zero

I have Leupolds on all my rifles except the LR rig which has a Night Force.

I personally don't think re-zero is that big of an issue unless you bump or change ammo/lots.

I went almost crazy trying to figure out what was happening with the zero on several of my rifles. I had 3 or 4 rifles change zeros on me this year.

These rifles were sighted in to perfection a couple of years ago and not used for any hunts as I did mostly muzzloader hunts last year.

I finally figured out what had happened. My eyesight in my dominant (shooting) eye had deterorated in the last year. I noticed the change in my left eye last summer but did realize it was causing the zero change in my rifles at first.

I have not had it checked yet but my left (dominant,shooting) eye is not 20/20 anymore. Age I guess.

It even changed where I had to set my paralax for set yardages on one scope that I had marked for quick reference.

Does this make any sense/has anybody seen this happen before?

I believe in checking zero frequently. One reason I went back to 100 yard zero's on most of my rifles. Just easier to do, find a place and wind has less effect at 100. I think it is a good idea to do a quick zero check if you are making a drastic change in alt. from where you sighted in and a new hunting location. I also check zero first if I suspect any issue with a point of impact at distance. 1 moa / 1" off at 100 yards quickly turns into 10 1/2" at 1000. What ever you are off on your zero will carry all they way through growing in size with distance.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.