How often do you clean your rifle?

Thank's Fellas, Wildrose I know just what your talking about as I hunt about the same till at least the end of Feb then about have that much through March. Just this week end I went through 8 shots and killed 1 coyote and 4 hogs Missed one yote and 2 more on a hog. I guess I'll just clean as I can. Thank's, Brad

Barrels will corrode if left dirty and I do believe cleaning religiously (not everyday, dont clean it if it isnt dirty) but I am also not a target shooter. As a hunter, I clean after every hunt.. and when I clean.. I CLEAN!

Thats strange..??? since everything used in modern ammo is supposed to be NON-corrosive..???

I agree with JE.. I never understood how cleaning a barrel can be more abrasive or more damaging than a bullet whistling down the barrel at over 3000fps...You hear all these guys say that cleaning is more damaging than actual shooting?!

I like the idea of that wipe out stuff because its easy, not because i think its less damaging. That's like the whole "barrel break in" crap... I probably just kicked over a bee's nest..but I just don't believe in it because there is no evidence or facts that proves that barrel break in is effective...

Barrels will corrode if left dirty and I do believe cleaning religiously (not everyday, dont clean it if it isnt dirty) but I am also not a target shooter. As a hunter, I clean after every hunt.. and when I clean.. I CLEAN!
With the advent of modern powders and primers corrosion is not an issue unless you are using Moly Coated Bullets or allowing moisture to remain in the barrel.

I don't shoot moly coated bullets and I always keep a little oil or grease in the barrel for that reason.

Once I have my optimum load that performs with a fouled barrel/ cold bore shot, I will strive get at least 20 shots through the rifle before I see any degradation of accuracy/POI, or a change in velocity. So far I have been successful achieving this with my long range rigs. If the rifle gets subjected to extreme weather where I think the barrel may have gotten wet or I reach the maximum shot number while hunting(this is rare), I'll clean it and re-foul the barrel. I have been lucky in that I usually exceed 20 rounds before I observe any change. This system works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.