How far do you shoot?

7 in 45 minutes?? that is impressive! looks like Team west side of big horn mountains has a challenge this year.... that gives me an idea. you know how they have whitetail hunting championships? how awesome would it be to break up into teams of 2 each with with impartial judges and have a long range competition bases on distance and shots fired etc..? losers buy lunch!

Mike, I just drove straight from here to the game and fish in cheyenne friday morning and it took me 4 hours 45 minutes. So your looking at 5:15-5:30.

I drew a second choice antelope this year so I need to work in some doe and cow hunts I guess.

LTLR i was going to message you and ask you how you did in the draw. im looking at doing 64-7 cow again and some 125-6 deer and 77-7 antelope tags then of course the generals. you interested in any of those? the 64 cow I usually just go up little grass or over to frank robbins place both are pretty easy to find elk on.

Mike, I just drove straight from here to the game and fish in cheyenne friday morning and it took me 4 hours 45 minutes. So your looking at 5:15-5:30.

I drew a second choice antelope this year so I need to work in some doe and cow hunts I guess.

WAIT A MINUTE!! If you're puttin this guy ^^^^^ on your team you can forget it! I might like a little friendly competition, but I know a whippin when I see it comin!:D

We might have to put him on his own team and mess with his scope settings when hes not looking to give us a fighting chance haha! But seriously it would be a blast if some of the wyoming guys wanted to make a plan for a September doe hunt or just go out and shoot some metal or something. Anyone who is interested email me at [email protected] and we can decide what everyone wants to do and see if we can make it happen....wow we really high jacked my thread didnt we??

Yes it is a good thing! Heck, sounds like a great time to me, anytime I get the chance to learn from some of the more seasoned guys... I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Mike,

The longrange shoot sounds like fun. We are right in the midlle of building a new facility for our machine shop. We hope to move in early September. If we get it done, I would like to come up.

I will e-mail you and get the details.

me and outlaw are talking about maybe just doing a steel shoot at one of the ranges here so maybe we could do it this summer if that works better for everyone, we can still do the doe hunt too though. im down for anything.

I've made some good shots over the years but a couple come to mind.

4 years ago while just checking one of my places I jumped a pair of young wild boars around 200lbs ea.

I jumped out of the truck with my 5" .41mag Taurus. I was down wind of the hogs and was able to walk up to within 43 paces of them before they alerted.

Shot the first one dead between the eyes.

The second took off on the run and at what I guessed to be about 75yds, fired leading him by about half a body length and holding just above the shoulders. I saw the impact of the round in the dirt, dropped my holdover keeping the same lead and dropped him with a perfect heart shot.

I marked my shooting position by dropping my brass and then paced of the exact distances for each.

The first died at 43 paces, the second at 117. For a guy who's never prided himself as being a "great pistol shot" that second hog impressed the hell out of me.

On another occasion I was driving from one place to another when I spotted a coyote trotting along the edge of a wheat field. That field I knew to be a perfect half section, one mile long and half mile wide.

The only rifle I had with me was my CZ .204 Ruger. Now I'd taken many coyotes out to 600 with it, but never considered a shot that far. I keep it dead zeroed for 450 so I did the math in my head and called the wind a wash since it was right to left along the same direction the coyote was moving.

I cranked up about 3x body height for elevation, and led him by 3 body lengths and squeezed.

I saw the round hit at what I estimated was 2 feet short and skipped right over him. He looked over at the dust it kicked up and sped up a little but continued on the same track.

So I increased my lead to about 4.5 body lengths and cranked up an additional two feet and gave it a nice sweet squeeze. (love the single set trigger on the CZ).

I was able to see the impact as the light was just right and nearly fell out of the truck. Drove over to the far side of the field and sure enough I'd hit him at mid rib on the third from last rib wrecking his liver and lungs and shredding the Aorta.

I had a friend with me I'd been trying to talk into a .204 as he liked varmint shooting as well. He ordered his the next day.

For my real long range gun I shoot a custom 700 remington in 7mm STW. Nothing fancy, just a factory custom that has had some basic accurizing. I've recorded kills out to 1370 yards with it so far. Generally it is loaded with either 154gr Interlbonds or the 139/162gr interlock. It really likes the 162gr Amax, but I usually don't shoot game with them as they are not a hunting bullet. They do however work well at ranges where the velocity drops below 1800fps giving good controlled expansion as long as it's not going through the shoulders.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts