how often "honestly" do most here shoot past 500 yards

I typically try to get out at least once a week, year round, and bang steel, rocks, milk jugs, or coyotes from 500-1150 yards. Sight in and load development is usually done on paper at 200 yards. Hunting season is a bit different since I don't usually get out target shooting much when big game is on the menu. :)

My private range I shoot to a mile on steel. Then from my back door I have rocks to 2500 plus with some painted circles on some. Plus I have many good places to go to shoot rocks to as far as one would want. As for how often I shoot past 500 it is at least once a week. Under 500 I only do load work up at 300 and zero at 100 and 200. If you are up this way give me a shout. We can do a little shooting.

Jeff
broz just read your post on the shoot in townsend was wondering if there are anymore this year i usually shoot the potomac matches my buddies and I took 1st 2nd and 3rd last month and would love to come out and shoot. I am not sure that potomac will have an event this month so that may work out.

broz just read your post on the shoot in townsend was wondering if there are anymore this year i usually shoot the potomac matches my buddies and I took 1st 2nd and 3rd last month and would love to come out and shoot. I am not sure that potomac will have an event this month so that may work out.

Answered your PM and will post here too. Our shoots are not competiion shoots. No pressuer just fun. We have two scheduled left but the fire hazards are high and we may get cancelled. I will post info in the thread in the competition forum.

Would love to have you guys come up. We have a great group of guys that come shoot. I think you would enjoy it.

Jeff

Kinda strange, but most all of my shooting every time I go out these days is from 4-700 yds. Unless I go with a buddy with a good rangefinder, well stretch it out farther. My Leupy only reaches out to 700 ish reliably. I need a new rangefinder.

Kinda weird to read what I typed. As of about 3 years ago I never thought that it would be possible for me to be able to shoot accurately past where my rangefinder would accurately reach.

That makes me feel pretty good:Dgun)

I try to get out at least once a week and shoot out to at least 1435, then we try to hit an area that we can shoot as far as GPS will let us range. I never go to the range or out shooting without pushing the range I'm shooting for the conditions, some days that's closer than others :D

Kinda strange, but most all of my shooting every time I go out these days is from 4-700 yds. Unless I go with a buddy with a good rangefinder, well stretch it out farther. My Leupy only reaches out to 700 ish reliably. I need a new rangefinder.

Kinda weird to read what I typed. As of about 3 years ago I never thought that it would be possible for me to be able to shoot accurately past where my rangefinder would accurately reach.

Nice sounds like you have an excuse to get a new rangefinder, I commuted short term financial suicide and bought a pair of Leica geovids for coyote hunting. The price was a bit unsettling but I would not be without them again. they are wonderful consistent ranging to 1k and out past twelve hundred when its in a good mood, worth every penny imo

Answered your PM and will post here too. Our shoots are not competiion shoots. No pressuer just fun. We have two scheduled left but the fire hazards are high and we may get cancelled. I will post info in the thread in the competition forum.

Would love to have you guys come up. We have a great group of guys that come shoot. I think you would enjoy it.

Jeff

Broz I received your pm sounds like fun there may be a chance Potomac Will be a go the third Saturday in July but if not I Will try to make it out there. if Potomac is a go I Will let you know I think you would enjoy that also its all prone shooting from a bipod known distance and timed. thanks for the pm and nice bull by the way.

I zero at 200,then verify grouping at 400.Then I jump to700-1200,with most at 800+.I crack rocks spring bear at spots I elk hunt in and elk have not moved back in yet.I get actual dial,and keep this info in a small range book.I have picts and sketches for reference.I do this at high mountain road eras also.I want to work out farther,but have 1200 Lieca.Hoping terrapin comes out with slope and ballistic curve soon:D

Same here.

Just a couple of years ago I thought 500yds was long range.

Now, I try not wasting ammo at 100yds except for bore sighting new scopes and some limited load development.

After that, it's 500-1k and even then, my son gets bored shooting at the same distance over and over. So, we look for ways to mix it up. We're currently working on a load for 2k.

LRH opportunities here are limited because it's hard to justify why we're passing up all the close up shots in order to shoot something way over there.

-- richard

Most of the time I'm shooting at 1000 or 1710. I also have a spot for 1300-1500 yards but if I go past a 1000 I usually just jump to the 1710. Also have a spot I've been trying out the last month or two at 2019. Although here lately I've been shooting from 700-900 yards, I think mostly because I get tired of driving back and forth. I need to get a steel range set up. Hopefully I will be able to do this in the near future out 3000 yards on flat ground and straight roads. I zero at 100 and do load work at 400.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.