HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

I second the idea of hunting NM, especially the Gila. It is usually lower elevation. Vancouver or Oregon would be even better for elevation. The best way I've found to get in shape for the mountains is to hike with a pack. Before a hunt, I walk 3 or 4 miles several times a week with a 40 lb. pack. It makes all the difference on a hunt. the pack straps don't hurt, and my calves don't burn. Another secret is Endurox. It is magic! It claims to increase endurance by 10%, and I believe it. More importantly, it relieves sore muscles, so you can hike the second and third day. I'm 65, and ended up hunting by myself the last day of the season, and shooting my cow elk 2 miles from the road. I skinned the ears for proof of sex, and boned out the meat, and carried out one load that evening. I went back for the rest in the morning. When it is boned, it cools nicely overnight, and if you store it in the shade it stays cool. You can take as many trips as needed to pack it out. That said, go with a guide on your first hunt. If you stay in shape and don't injure yourself, you can still be hunting at 75 (at least I hope to). Once I shot my first elk, I was hooked for life.

Thanks! Sounds pretty great!. My wife and I want to go to Australia and New Zealand for a trip (we are hoping in 2020 or 2021). My cousin Mark lives in ChristChurch. I am doubtful my wife would want to have me hunt during our trip, but dang, that would be really cool!
Talk to Mark lol and look at Red Stag... unbelievable animals...you will want to forget about Elk for awhile

Thanks! Sounds pretty great!. My wife and I want to go to Australia and New Zealand for a trip (we are hoping in 2020 or 2021). My cousin Mark lives in ChristChurch. I am doubtful my wife would want to have me hunt during our trip, but dang, that would be really cool!
Shoot me your email address...mine [email protected]....we can talk...maybe I can help you with your Elk trip this year

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)
being a veteran elk hunter from the west I would definitely recommend hiring a guide as they know the areas and know where the animals are located ! I would suggest colorado as it has a lot of elk and getting a tag is fairly easy ! im 76 and have killed elk the last two years so you still have time ! good luck

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I love this website

Hey man, I am 74 and been hunting elk for 5 years.. I know where you are coming from. Get your body in shape, target practice a lot, and get a good guide service for the first time. You will do fine! Just have FUN and DO IT,

Call Eric at TAGS. My dad and I are headed to Wyoming this year for a elk rifle hunt. He has been instrumental in keeping us in the draws for the game we are wanting to pursue, and has also been helpful w outfitters

I am in a similar position,as far as age and no hunting partner. However, I do go alone and hire an outfitter in Montana where the tags are readily accessible,but pricey, I have been to Colorado also. I would suggest you look into subscribing to RMEF magazine where they have a host of outfitters that can meet your preferences. An outfitter,guided hunt is not inexpensive. With lodging,meals, you can easily start at 5g, not counting airfare,processing and tips.

However,they are great experiences, I prefer stalking, horseback, etc. If you would like to talk more, and are willing to send me your number, you can email it to me at; [email protected]. I could always use a hunter partner.

I also live in the Northeast and have hunted elk for the last 20 years.
But I was lucky and have a brother that lives in Idaho and elk hunting is his passion.
I'm turning 60 this year and if there is one thing I can suggest to you is you can not be in to good of shape to elk hunt. I drop 15 pounds each year and get in the best shape as possible before leaving. Not like hunting whitetails in the east at all. if you need help finding a outfitter contact me I can help you with that for sure.

If You are going guided and You maybe only hunting Elk once then try and get 1 on 1, meaning one hunter one guide. It will be more expensive than a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 etc... Do your homework on your guide selections and check their references. Good luck.
You should also apply in other states if you can since You feel your time is limited. New Mexico might be a good choice to buy a landowner Tag. We do this for cows with a muzzeloader when we do not draw in our home state.

Best of luck

I'm 52 (I think) from the east, and I want to do this too. I'm pretty sure I'd go guided and would like to take my son (12) but by the time we really can do it, he'll probably be 14. He has his hunters safety . I think I'd want to probably do some kind of combination Cow Elk/Mule deer deal. We'd bring the 6.5-284 for a "long range" shot (comfortable to maybe 350-400 yards) and my light Wby. Altitude 6.5 Creed for close quarters opportunities. Does such a combo deal exist? We're both in decent shape but I want to be realistic about how physically demanding this would be and how challenging the shots are. At the same time, I don't want a canned hunt.

You constantly hear about how you HAVE to be in shape for elk hunting. This is partially a myth. An inside secret... the overwhelming majority of locals are in terrible shape. We joke about getting in shape while elk hunting and especially the pack out. Last year I **** near killed myself getting a rag bull and 3 yr cow to the truck by being unprepared. I promised myself not to do this again. I'm currently down with a broken leg, off to a great start! Being in shape definitely increases your odds of killing elk, but you don't have to be Lance Armstrong to get the job done.

FYI I am looking for an outfitter in the west to book a hunt, elk, mule deer, antelope, something along those lines. When I read what you wrote about Buffalo Horn Ranch, I found an article that stated that the ranch is up for auction to the highest bidder.

www.craigdailypress.com/news/buffalo-horn-ranch-to-be-sold-to-the-highest-bidder/

Thanks for the info. The ranch's participation in the RFW program survived a previous sale so we'll see. It would be amazing if the state bought the parcels. I thought I'd flop up a pic of the area. They have drop camps to the upper left, in the Citadel plateau area and in one of the southern parcels, they have indian petroglyphs painted in a large rock bubble cave. I can smell the white sage now..
BHR.JPG
Paintings.JPG

Last elk for me was when I was 70,just find a good outfitter in Colorado before they put the wolves the want (400)in there. I am 72 now and if I don't draw I will go spike elk hunting. Get plenty of exercise at least 5 days a week. You might want to come early to get some adjustment to the altitude I spend a lot of time in the hills at 5and 6000 plus feet.Good luck yo can d it.

There are already packs of wolves in Colorado. If they continue staying south of Wyoming they have a much better chance of surviving. I've seen 2 dead on the highway in northern CO. A bunch of encounters right along the border.

@mfk - send me an email. I live in Colorado, I am NOT a guide but I have hunted elk with my kids and friends here and we do it on public and some private land. The time for the draw is fast approaching and you need another preference point or so for a late season cow hunt. I am talking Dec1-31st. Send me an email and maybe I can help point you in the right direction. [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.