HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

mfk

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)

I wish you luck! I'm about 10 years older than you and would really like to
go after one of our Ky. elk! I apply for my tags every year..But no luck yet?
I even buy chances for the big bull raffle hunt. Ours are 10 bucks for a bull rifle
and 10 for a cow tag so far I have donated a bunch of $20.00 bills?
No points you start over every year..

I wish you luck! I'm about 10 years older than you and would really like to
go after one of our Ky. elk! I apply for my tags every year..But no luck yet?
I even buy chances for the big bull raffle hunt. Ours are 10 bucks for a bull rifle
and 10 for a cow tag so far I have donated a bunch of $20.00 bills?
No points you start over every year..
Thanks Carl. Seriously, I don't think we are too old-- hope this didn't insult you. I just don't have 30 years of learning curve in front of me. Us old guys got to stick up for each other :0

With only one shot I'd go guided. Colorado would be a good choice since many tags can be had for 0-1 point. If you don't care how big of a bull you shoot there are many options for outfitters. If you're intimidated by the sheer amount of info out there on guided elk hunts I'd give Worldwide Trophy Adventures a call. They are a hunt booking agency and will talk extensively with you about your expectations and get you set up with an outfitter that suits your needs.

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)

Hmmmmm......."MFK", I could have some fun with that acronym!!;):rolleyes: I'd like to be able to give you some suggestions on your OP, however I opened the thread because I too live in the northeast and I too would like to do an elk hunt; and, I've got almost two decades of year over you. What I would like to suggest is to not wait for anyone (especially your/our kids) to fulfill your bucket list, this isn't a dress rehearsal! You want to do it, "MAKE" it happen while you are financially capable and physically capable of doing the hunt. About 6-7 years ago I was at a barbecue and talking with a friend about his bear hunting trips and kept saying to him that I was going to try that "some day". After that day I thought about when that "some day" was going to come and about sitting on the porch of a nursing home saying, "I wish I had gone bear hunting when I could have gone." I booked the bear hunt for that same year with my friend and have been going ever since. After two years, my son who is always busy, now hunts with me every year. We are planning our next hunt while we are on our annual bear hunt. I didn't really start "living" life and appreciating life until after I had two heart attacks at "53"!!!! I'm pushing 70+, although I can afford a hunt like you have described, as time passes I am finding that something else has either dried up, swollen up, been removed, is worn out and needs replacement, or needs medication of some sort to keep going; "getting old isn't for sissies!!!!" I don't understand the entire point system and how it works. I have a friend who mule deer/antelope hunts in Wyoming and who is trying to get enough points for an elk hunt. From what I have gathered from listening to him, I "think" there are outfitters who hold points or can get points for a hunt on private land. I'm sure that there are other forum readers who can/will help you with this.

Last edited:
I am 10 years older and live in the southeast. I hunt elk every year at least once and sometimes twice. I would recommend without any reservations hunting with an outfitter and guide. They will take care of everything and being that you are new to elk hunting will put you on the game. I don't play the preference point game since time is not on my side, which is why I choose land owner tag option in New Mexico for most of my elk hunting. I do occasionally hunt Wyoming if I draw a tag too. Anyway, good luck on your quest.

No problem going alone on a guided hunt. Your guide will be your partner... spotting breaking down and help packing the animal. That is what you are paying for.
My dad went on a guided hunt by himself when he was 75 and took a nice bull. He was NOT in good shape, so I am sure they did most of the work. He is gone now, but he cherished that elk hunt his last years.

I went to the NTO shooting camp, and really enjoyed it. Great people, great outfit. Country is a little more rugged than is ideal for me.

There are all types of guides and services. Some range for semi guided were they just help pack you in and out of a decent area to fully guided where about all you have to do is pull the trigger. Most are somewhere inbetween. Start with recommendations from here and other places.Talk to potential guides in depth about your expectations,shooting ability,and physical condition. Most guides will provide references so check those out and do a little more research through places like the bbb. You may not be able to go scout areas from where you are but for a once or twice in a lifetime hunt put plenty of time into trying to find the right guide service to spend your money with. Hope you have a wonderful experience!

Pick a guide with good reputation and a high success rate elk are not that hard to hunt guides will have there honey holes and if your not wanting huge antlers it makes the guides job easer plus they will have horses to pack them out I have been lucky to Live in elk country but I have always packed them out on my back luckily I have friends that like to be pack mules lol cuz I'm 58 so I'm getting up there in years to but I still kill an elk every year but I think about where I'm at when I pull the trigger now more than I used to lol good luck on your adventure of a life time you won't regret it
Ps elk are big critters compared to white tails

For some good info, Call Grant Edinger of Buffalo Horn Ranch in Meeker, CO. They will set you up for a world class elk hunt on an incredible ranch. I'd suggest finding a partner to join you though, even if not hunting... elk hunting alone at elevation is for those that know an area very well and not in their 50s, like us. Good luck

Absolutely doable with a guided hunt. Start calling some outfits. You can draw a 1st season trophy tag in CO in various units with a guide that will put you on elk. Did this a few years ago with my pops in a similar-ish situation. I would go to elevation a day early and just relax and mess around, altitude sickness blows.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.