HOPING TO GET AN ELK BEFORE I AM DEAD

MFK I'm in the same boat as you, live in the southeast, turned 60 this year, destroyed my back eight years ago, have no hunting partners, son moved to NY, and would love to go elk hunting but know I can't do it alone, the cost can be prohibitive and wouldn't even know where to start. My grandson just turned 3 and lives local to me. I'd love to take him before I kick off but by the time he is old enough I'll be in a wheelchair!! Tennessee has introduced elk but they only issue 1-3 tags a year. An elk hunt is still on my bucket list.
Now with all that said, have you considered South Africa for a safari? You can go there and hunt 5-6 animals for what a guided elk hunt would cost. I'm going on second safari next year. Think about it and if interested PM me and I can set you up with a great outfitter.
Kentucky has more than a couple of tags for non residents. Depends on how many for the year total and Nonresidents are 10% of those. Pennsylvania also has elk and tag drawings, so need to look at that. If you don't mind, perhaps I'll get with you in the near future about an Elk hunt, as my problem like yours, finding someone to go with.

You want to hunt elk this year with a world class outfitter? Would you like to double up with an Argentina Elk and dove shoot?
Call or email https://mgwoutfitters.com/
Check with Ariel Goldman, his family has a ranch in Patagonia (far south province of Argentina) and he and Junior Meaer have several lodges in Argentina for big game, doves, perdiz, ducks, geese, fly fishing (gold Dorado), etc. I have hunted with them about a dozen times, #1 first class folks. They will put with a bird group if you wish and fly you from Córdoba to Patagonia and back. Just remember our seasons are reversed, June here is like our December in Argentina.
Ed
give this guy a shout. retired MD. Has really reasonable prices:

posted 11 August 2012 19:10
Our good friend Charlie Tuppen aka GATOGORDO and his son ADAM visited us in a 5 days safari .Charlie is an experienced wingshooter with more than 20 safaris here and waned to introduce Aaron ,his son in the famous Argentine wing shooting sport.
Besides wing shooting ,they took buffalo after 2 days pursuing them ,several capibaras ,ONE WITH KNIFE KILLED BY AARON -INDEED HE WAS THE FIRST CLIENT THAT TOOK CAPIBARA WITH KNIFE AND DOGS-
several typical riverine hogs -the hogs from the pastizal correntino looks like bushpigs-,and another species .BOTH CHARLIE AND AARON ARE SUPERB SHOOTERS AND GOOD FRIENDS OF US .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar.

If you've never hunted elk, be aware they are much tougher than deer. I recommend nothing less than 7mm with a heavy for caliber premium bullet (160 gr. Barnes or Partition). Many people recommend nothing smaller than 30 caliber. I know lots of elk are killed with .243 and 6.5mm, but It is much more satisfying to see your elk drop at the shot, instead of running off, especially on a once in a lifetime hunt.

If you've never hunted elk, be aware they are much tougher than deer. I recommend nothing less than 7mm with a heavy for caliber premium bullet (160 gr. Barnes or Partition). Many people recommend nothing smaller than 30 caliber. I know lots of elk are killed with .243 and 6.5mm, but It is much more satisfying to see your elk drop at the shot, instead of running off, especially on a once in a lifetime hunt.

Thats pretty funny - and not a true statement. Elk aren't that tough. I have seen a lot of elk run off after being hit by 300 and 338 wm. Bring whatever gun you shoot the best and the right bullet for the job. I have been shooting bergers for a long time and put them right behind the shoulder. I shot a nice 5pt a few years ago with a 115gr berger out of a 25-06 and he didnt even take a step. Last year I shot the elk in my avatar with a 145gr eldx and he took a couple steps and fell over. My 300 rum and 300wby just sit in the safe now as I believe that shot placement and bullet selection are more important than the size of the cartridge and the big 300's don't kill them any deader than the 6.5s and 270s.

Most guys would be better off bringing their whitetail guns than some new magnum...especially for a once in a lifetime hunt.

Call Phil Rutt at Triple Three Outfitters in buffalo Wyoming, you could get a cow elk tag this year and buy a point for bull. Keep hunting for cow elk every year until you have enough points to draw a bull tag, they have tremendous bulls on their properties. All free range. Very nice people very accommodating treat you like family. You may even be able to draw a mulie or antelope tag, lots of those on their ranches. The hunting isn't super strenuous physically which will allow you to enjoy the hunt more.

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)

I grew up tracking bucks on snow in ME, NH and VT. till I joined the military.

30 yrs late I'm doing the same here in the west...most guys have no idea how its done.

PM me...I'll get your confidence up. If you are up to it I'll put you on the elk.

ps when not going long I put my 338 Edge down and run my tricked out 35 Whelen 7600 pump and run a track in the dark timber...I can hear the Benoit boys chuckling each time a crush a bull.

I live in the Northeast and only have experience hunting whitetails but have an Elk hunt in my bucket list. I have 6 significant challenges:

1. Time is not on my side: I am 56 and would like to to this in the next 5 to 6 years while I am still younger. I would love to do a DIY elk hunt (I love challenges), but this is not practical with my circumstances.
2. Limited Points. I only have 1 CO point and 1 WY point. Started this fantasy late in life...
3. NO EXPERIENCE with Elk hunting (I hunt whitetail).
4. Live in the Northeast -- so I will not get much opportunity to scout extensively in Elk Country.
5. Limited trips. I will only get to do one elk hunt in my life, maybe two. ( I am leaning towards and am willing to pay for a guided hunt because of this).
6. NO HUNTING PARTNER FOR THIS ELK HUNT: (My youngest son (25 years old) wants to deer and elk hunt with me, but he has not even taken the time to do a hunter's ed course yet (keeps promising). Who knows when that will happen because he is busy and has not made this a priority. (I will probably be dead when he finally gets his hunting license :).

I am willing to do a guided hunt-- whatever can tilt odds of success in my favor since I have only one or two possible trips in my life, and no experience hunting elk. I really prefer to get a bull, but will settle for a cow.

If I don't have a partner for spotting, ranging, packing, etc. is this feasible in a guided hunt? I was looking at NTO outfitters as a possibility but honestly I would go with recommendations. My fantasy would be a spot and stalk hunt vs timber hunt, but I know have to be prepared to take the opportunity if it happens under any hunting scenario. (I enjoy long range shooting, but I want to be ethical in my hunting approach by making sure I set myself up for the best kill under the scenario).

Is it unrealistic to plan a hunt without a partner? Tell it to me straight. Do guided hunt arrangements allow me to get help spotting/ranging/packing out like a partner would? Forgive my dumb questions but I have never been on a guided hunt. I cannot even plan what state to hunt, where to get points etc, without knowing who my partner is an where he has points to hunt the same hunt. I am also concerned with hunting with someone I have not hunted with before ( I have read the horror stories here about hunting with a new partner on an elk trip).

I don't have a set budget yet-- I will spend some decent money if need be, but the budget is not unlimited and will vary.

PS I won't underestimate the importance of getting in shape (high altitude), having the right equipment, and being prepared. I like to do things the right way, or not at all.

I really envy you guys that live in Elk country!!

I love this website thanks in advance guys!

Hoping to get an elk before I am dead. :)
Took a guided hunt out of New Mexico 2 years ago (I was only 68 then) I would recommend a guided hunt. My guide was great. On a 6 day hunt I got my 6x6 700 lb the second time out on the first day.

YOUR NOT TOO OLD. (Also I'm from the North East also)

Just met Mesa Outfitters here at the big Fred Hall fishing show in San Diego. Loren is what - a 5th Generation elk hunter from the Grand Junction, Colorado area? Very nice and a friend of mine in Grand Junction knows them = good reputation - and I think I am going with them this fall. They just had a couple cancellations - so jump on it. www.mesa-outfitters.com,
Thanks Tom. I know I can't do this, this year, but appreciate the info! I am looking at 2020/2021 or 2022. For me the sooner the better, but Ihave job, wife, and family things going on that I have to work around. I hunt whitetail every year in NY and MA, but its much simpler to arrange with no significant travel time ( couple hours) the hunt time is short ( a weekend). Being this is possibly my one an only future elk trip, so I will really plan a ahead a little further so I can try to move heaven and earth to do this and be prepared as possible.

Being in shape definitely increases your odds of killing elk, but you don't have to be Lance Armstrong to get the job done.

I can just see it now....Lance on his couch with all those bull elk trophies behind him. He was juiced on every one of those hunts and he knows it!!

Northern Colorado 1st Rifle Elk
$6,950 - 1x1
October 13-17 - 6 nights/5 full days of hunting.
Often there are extra tags for this hunt, but there is no guarantee.
If you're interested, you'll need to apply by April 2nd. Don't wait around!
You will be hunting from a luxury hunting lodge.

*We also have a few 4th rifle season openings on November 13-18 (also a draw), and a few archery elk hunts are still available with this outfitter as well. Both of these hunts are $6,500.

CLICK HERE to REQUEST MORE INFORMATION
or call us at:

Northern Colorado 1st Rifle Elk
$6,950 - 1x1
October 13-17 - 6 nights/5 full days of hunting.
Often there are extra tags for this hunt, but there is no guarantee.
If you're interested, you'll need to apply by April 2nd. Don't wait around!
You will be hunting from a luxury hunting lodge.

*We also have a few 4th rifle season openings on November 13-18 (also a draw), and a few archery elk hunts are still available with this outfitter as well. Both of these hunts are $6,500.

CLICK HERE to REQUEST MORE INFORMATION
or call us at:
Jack it looks prettty awesome. I have a job transition going on so an elk hunt can't happen for me in 2019, --possibly in 2020, or if I have to wait until 2021/2022. I am trying to plan for the elk hunt a little further out. But thanks!

Jack it looks prettty awesome. I have a job transition going on so an elk hunt can't happen for me in 2019, --possibly in 2020, or if I have to wait until 2021/2022. I am trying to plan for the elk hunt a little further out. But thanks!
might want to copy and keep the info, then be able to contact them early enough to make sure you get into the hunt. I try to maybe run it off, as memory like nano seconds long , lol. and if I just "save it" on the computer, will get lost.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.