Questions for planning first elk/deer hunt 2013-Colorado

blb078

I've finally decided I want to go out west and try my luck for an elk/mule deer hunt. But I have a few questions I was hoping someone can help me with. I've decided on 2nd rifle season although I could go archery if needed. I'm looking at units 25 or 34 as both of those have otc elk bull tags and are easy to draw for mule....or so i've been told. From what I've heard those units, and all of White River National Forest holds a lot of elk and even more hunters come 2nd rilfe season from what I've been told. I don't mind getting in a ways by the time the hunt rolls around I plan on being able to jog 5-6 miles w/50lbs of weight. But I've also heard any of the units in white river are crowded w/hunters and it doesn't matter how far back you go there will be a lot of people. Is this true on these units? If so can someone recommend an otc elk unit and that is also and easy to draw mule deer unit, where I can get away from the crowd if I hike in a ways? Would like to keep it w/in 2-3 hours of Denver if possible, but open to anything.

I've tried to figure it out on the DOW website but couldn't figure out the chances of drawing a mule deer tag for a non resident w/0 points for 2nd season rifle. Also should I be putting in some of the hard to draw units for both elk/deer to get points built up? or can you just buy points w/o putting in? And if so can someone recommend a unit for that? Not looking for anyone's sweet spot, just looking to get out on some public land w/a opprotunity which is why I initially thought units 25 or 34.

Thanks

Brian

Just throwing this out there but the guys that have good "ROADLESS" areas and hunt the "LATER" rifle seasons will be not so forthcoming on information. The later general season "3rd" is better in my opinion because the good bulls separate from the cows and hang out on southern facing slopes feeding. The hunting pressure from the areas with roads push these elk in to these areas. People. People that are from colorado or hunt here often typically say all the general units hold **** head rad horns and have tons of people. Well I have 16 elk points and have killed 8 bulls that are good six point bulls 280 to 320 in those 16 years using this method, " 4 years of that time was spent in the Marines". Only hunting done during that time was for terrorists. The typical out of state roadless late season hunter only hunts for two days max and calls it quits due to bad weather and not physically/mentally prepared . So grab a topo or google earth and start searching and have fun

Just throwing this out there but the guys that have good "ROADLESS" areas and hunt the "LATER" rifle seasons will be not so forthcoming on information. The later general season "3rd" is better in my opinion because the good bulls separate from the cows and hang out on southern facing slopes feeding. The hunting pressure from the areas with roads push these elk in to these areas. People. People that are from colorado or hunt here often typically say all the general units hold **** head rad horns and have tons of people. Well I have 16 elk points and have killed 8 bulls that are good six point bulls 280 to 320 in those 16 years using this method, " 4 years of that time was spent in the Marines". Only hunting done during that time was for terrorists. The typical out of state roadless late season hunter only hunts for two days max and calls it quits due to bad weather and not physically/mentally prepared . So grab a topo or google earth and start searching and have fun

This is very good advice. I have only elk hunted Co. a couple times but this same info would apply to Montana too. TrophyHunter, I can tell you are an elk hunter.

Jeff

This is very good advice. I have only elk hunted Co. a couple times but this same info would apply to Montana too. TrophyHunter, I can tell you are an elk hunter.

Jeff

I try to be but most of the time I think I should be on one of those surviver shows because of the predicaments I get in. One lesson I learned quick was if you see the one your after you better get him on the ground as soon as possible or the opportunity maybe lost. This mentality is what drove me to become a long range hunter. People say im way to aggressive but those same people hunt places were the elk have not been shot at for three months. I used this same mentality on caribou in Alaska and mule deer with a bow..
Im a younger guy and have a lot more to learn but if your going to hunt general public land elk you have got to want it bad and if you stick it out your back is going to be soar for a bit from a heavy frame pack.

I agree with a lot of what TrophyHunter said. All areas are going to have "a lot" of hunters. It is a matter of separating yourself from them to be successful. I have hunted for years in one of the most "crowded" units in the state, but I get off the road approximately one mile up a very steep mountain, and all of a sudden you do not see any other hunters. Amazing how that works! lightbulb

No matter what unit you pick, spend a lot of time studying topos and google earth, find ways to separate yourself from other hunters (as the elk also do), and you will give yourself a good chance at being successful.

Good thread. I'm going out to CO in 2nd season with a band of hunters for our first Elk hunt. We opted to get our feet wet with an outfitter rather than trying it on our own. We originally scheduled 3rd Rifle season but changed to 2nd. Driving force, outfitter said 3rd season could find us at the ranch riding out to hunt instead of camping at the high camp. We were looking for the total outdoors experience and switched to 2nd rifle...hope we didn't make a poor decision.

The outfitters upper camp is approximately 10k', hopefully this will separate us from the roadside hunters. We were told to be prepared for a 1/2-day horseback ride from the trail head to base camp.

What does it cost to go on a guided hunt, I think I'd like to go that way the first time around. Where does one get that type of information? Any help, I can also be emailed at [email protected] Anywhere in the US or Alaska is open for me. I wouldn't mind being with several other hunters and a guide too.

Shoot me a pm if you like. Ive hunted unit 25 for many years. I can point you in the right direction.

The Colorado DOW website used to post numbers of animals taken, number of hunters per unit and predicted animal movents. Should be a useful research tool. Definitely the rougher the terrain, the fewer the hunters, but not necessarily more animals. A lot depends on the weather. The warmer it is the higher up they will stay.

What about all the elk that live at 4500 to 5000be feet down in the cedars? They are there all year long. Just saying this to have people realize that to be successful in Colorado on elk including good sized bulls you have got to think outside the norm. I bet over 500,000 hunters read that elk univeesity stuff on the cdow website.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.