Montana or Colorado for first elk hunt?

I'm sure it's not just AZ. But the last couple of couple of years, the elk have been found in places your wouldn't expect. Seeing big bulls in the middle of the desert in the hot weather was not uncommon. So finding elk outside of the 16 counties might not be too tough. But it's been a couple years since I messed with AZ

I discussed this recently on another thread. I'd disagree and suggest Colorado. I have family in Montana and have hunted there. I live in Colorado. Most of the hunting in Montana seemed more crowded. I almost always hunt an over the counter unit in Colorado and just about always get my bull. This year was probably the busiest I've seen the unit, but almost everyone was road hunting. I never saw a hunter in the woods and I kicked up elk and deer every place I walked. They almost looked baffled to see a human with legs...I think they figured we all had wheels attached. Colorado has vast sections of public land and if you'll walk a half mile from the forest service roads, you'll see elk (if you are in the right country). I ran into dozens within a half mile of the roads everyone was driving. You don't need to pack in for miles.

I'd have to agree with this. Granted, elk aren't just everywhere once you get 1/2 mile off a road, but you certainly don't find many hunters out past that distance in my experience.

I'd have to agree with this. Granted, elk aren't just everywhere once you get 1/2 mile off a road, but you certainly don't find many hunters out past that distance in my experience.

I can agree with that. just gotta get away from the roads and you're a lot more able to hunt elk instead of hunt elk that are running from other hunters.

Laelkhunter...yes, got him at 640 yards, one shot, over-the-counter unit, second season, hot and dry - hadn't taken the time to post it yet. He's not super-special, but good enough in my book. I was maybe 1/4 mile from a busy forest service road when I shot him.

As others have mentioned, they aren't everywhere, you often spend 3-4 days testing out different areas seeing where they happen to be that week/day (they are a bit nomadic). If I didn't know the unit well, and saw the circus of vehicles and hunters at the base of the mountain, I would have been completely intimidated and considered it hopeless. As it is now, I just chuckle at the circus, drive up the mountain, shoot my elk, and they all go home empty-handed swearing there aren't any around. :)

Also, most seasons are about 9 days here. There are hunters everywhere (on the roads) the first 4 days, by mid-week most are gone, and when I went up to shoot this bull the second weekend, everyone was gone except one small camp, and he was just there Saturday and not Sunday. I had the woods to myself, but then again, I had the "woods" to myself even when they were there.

Attachments

• 20161030_101817 resize.jpg
    20161030_101817 resize.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 115
I'm in the process of planning a 2017 elk hunt for me and my brother. I guess my question is, which state? We've hunted antelope the last two years in Wyoming and are ready to try for bigger critters. On our last antelope trip there were hunters everywhere. It was like civil war erupted opening morning. I would like to avoid some of that, if possible, while elk hunting. I know everyone says Colorado is the place to elk hunt, I'm thinking Montana, just because everyone else goes to Colorado.

So what do you think would be best to avoid crowds, Montana or Colorado?
Which state has the higher odds of success?

Also, this will be spike camp hunting trip. And being in bear country is not a deterrent from hunting a good area.

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Montana around Butte would be my choice hands down for DIY. I have lived in Colorado and hunted there and Montana with guides before I met my friend in Butte, MT. Simply put don't for get to put in for cow (B-tags) and get the big game combo now you are set for a cow a bull and whitetail or mule deer grab a wolf tag just in case you do see one they aren't around extremely often around my friends place and they have elk year round at their ranch. no brainier that way. 1000 for combo I think the cow tag is way less and 50 for a wolf tag. That's 4 tags for about 3 or 400 apiece going that route.

Three years ago, we hunted 2nd rifle season from a Drop Camp in the West Elk Wilderness area in CO. We were told that the area was secluded and that we might not see other hunters. As it turned out, there were 6 hunters camped within shouting distance from our camp. Needless to say, we got to be on first-name basis with them and tried to let each other know where we were hunting each day. The last couple of days, we hiked 5 miles or more to get away from the crowds.

Three years ago, we hunted 2nd rifle season from a Drop Camp in the West Elk Wilderness area in CO. We were told that the area was secluded and that we might not see other hunters. As it turned out, there were 6 hunters camped within shouting distance from our camp. Needless to say, we got to be on first-name basis with them and tried to let each other know where we were hunting each day. The last couple of days, we hiked 5 miles or more to get away from the crowds.

Unfortunately that's what wilderness areas have become in Colorado. Everyone wants to hunt them to 'get away from the crowds.' I have a lot more success escaping the crowds by hunting non-wilderness areas and getting more than a 1/2 mile away from roads. Do that and you will rarely see people.

Drop camps at least here in Co are not in the areas that outfitter would use for guided hunt and he has no control over who camps/hunts in the NF. He could have camp close to where he guides from also. I was up first elk season and local's where packing in back country for 2nd rifle and back in that far most do pretty good and horses give good advantage.

Thanks guys.... I think me and my brother have decided on Region 3 in Montana. After last year's incident on my Wyoming antelope hunt, I'm choosing to go where there are fewer people. I would rather put up with grizzly bears than people. There are numerous other reasons for Montana, like, longer season, ability to hunt archery then rifle if unsuccessful, mule deer on same tag, either sex elk in some districts.

So if anyone has some good info on Montana, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for all the suggestions and info.

Laelkhunter...yes, got him at 640 yards, one shot, over-the-counter unit, second season, hot and dry - hadn't taken the time to post it yet. He's not super-special, but good enough in my book. I was maybe 1/4 mile from a busy forest service road when I shot him.

As others have mentioned, they aren't everywhere, you often spend 3-4 days testing out different areas seeing where they happen to be that week/day (they are a bit nomadic). If I didn't know the unit well, and saw the circus of vehicles and hunters at the base of the mountain, I would have been completely intimidated and considered it hopeless. As it is now, I just chuckle at the circus, drive up the mountain, shoot my elk, and they all go home empty-handed swearing there aren't any around. :)

Also, most seasons are about 9 days here. There are hunters everywhere (on the roads) the first 4 days, by mid-week most are gone, and when I went up to shoot this bull the second weekend, everyone was gone except one small camp, and he was just there Saturday and not Sunday. I had the woods to myself, but then again, I had the "woods" to myself even when they were there.

Excellent !! Congrats on a beautiful Bull. Very nice for an OTC unit (in my opinion).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.