Planning first elk hunt need help

D

Deleted member 48126

Hunted exclusive on the east coast, and some in Texas and Missouri. I have about 22 years experience hunting deer, hogs, turkeys, and all types of small game/ varmints.

My Army buddy is graduating Columbia in December 2020. He wants to do a once in a lifetime hunt. He has a lot of firearms experience and some hunting experience. He has hunted with me a lot but has never shot anything.

We are both in excellent shape so we want the best, toughest type elk hunt, like pack the meat out, camp, etc. I have several elk capable rifles. Two .308 wins, one .30-06, and a .338 Lapua. Going to be honest, want to keep the shots within 300 yards. That's what we are comfortable with. We have a lot of gear from hiking, army, competing in PRS type comps.

So that's our background. Question is literally, what do we do?! Lol

What state, How do we get licenses, any recommended outfitters, costs, gear, we have a year and half, is that enough time? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Also we aren't after monster bulls, that would be nice, but if we both got a cow that would be perfect. Any and all advice, recommendations, referrals would be greatly appreciated.

- Bill

Hunted exclusive on the east coast, and some in Texas and Missouri. I have about 22 years experience hunting deer, hogs, turkeys, and all types of small game/ varmints.

My Army buddy is graduating Columbia in December 2020. He wants to do a once in a lifetime hunt. He has a lot of firearms experience and some hunting experience. He has hunted with me a lot but has never shot anything.

We are both in excellent shape so we want the best, toughest type elk hunt, like pack the meat out, camp, etc. I have several elk capable rifles. Two .308 wins, one .30-06, and a .338 Lapua. Going to be honest, want to keep the shots within 300 yards. That's what we are comfortable with. We have a lot of gear from hiking, army, competing in PRS type comps.

So that's our background. Question is literally, what do we do?! Lol

What state, How do we get licenses, any recommended outfitters, costs, gear, we have a year and half, is that enough time? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Also we aren't after monster bulls, that would be nice, but if we both got a cow that would be perfect. Any and all advice, recommendations, referrals would be greatly appreciated.

- Bill
First thanks for your service to our country.
I'd check out Colorado, really good elk numbers and you can hunt some rough country if you want to.
A friend of mine lived in Steamboat Springs for 5 years and shot a bull every single year, he moved to Idaho and hasn't shot one since..
That's how much better it is in Colorado numbers wise, over the counter tags in the NW part of the state too.
Good luck!

If you just want cow tags, most western states won't be that hard to draw, but you just missed AZ elk draw application deadline. Non-residents can probably draw in a few years. So not much of a chance for 2020. Bulls, forget about it.

NM has landowner tags. But you are going to pay for them.
WY, you can buy Bonus points soon. But 2 points will still be very tough to draw.
CO has over the counter tags, so that is a good option.
Not sure what other states do landowner tags, but that will be your best bet at a guaranteed tag and good opportunities.

First hunt I would go with an outfitter or drop camp . Colorado probably your best bet for no points/ over the counter. Just train a lot of Cardio , elevation is a killer for a Flatlander .

For the ultimate experience, do a wilderness back country hunt like the Thorofare region of Wyoming. I have recommendation if your interested. I have hunted with this outfitter a bunch of times and be very successful.

A guide is a good choice for your first trip out west. I'm sure some people here can help with finding a good outfitter. I would suggest getting comfortable out to 500 so if needed you'll be ready. I would rather take a long controlled shot than a quick close up shot.

If you go with a avg to above outfitter your chances are increased to harvest , if the extra money isn't a issue. You guys go even if you go on your own , you will have a blast even if you come back empty handed . As we get older the harvest is only a bonus . Good luck to ya

I would look for a drop camp outfitter in the flattop wilderness area in Colorado. High number of elk, can be as rough and remote as you want it to be. 30-06 with a solid 180gr bullet would be very capable for a 300 yard shot. Just depends on what rifle you have that packs best. With this amount of time, you could plan your own trip in without an outfitter, but for the very first trip for each of you I would get with an outfitter to at least put you in a proven area.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.